Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead cutting diameter - which is better >

broadhead cutting diameter - which is better

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead cutting diameter - which is better

Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Default broadhead cutting diameter - which is better

I am trying to decide which is better a 2 blade broadhead with a 2 inch cutting diameter or a 3 blade with a 1.5 inch cutting diameter. Regardless of brand. The two blade has 2 inches of blade and the 3 blade has 2.25 inches of blade (both minus the broadhead ferrule). Yes these would be mechanicals.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: broadhead cutting diameter - which is better

You will get tuns of answers on this. I like three blades, but have taken many deer with two blades with a 1 1/2 inch cut. With my three blades, I like to use a 1 1/4 or largercut for thin skinned animals like deer. On hogs and thick skinned animals I like to use 1 1/8blades.

Oh yea, I have to mention I have only used fixed two blades, but do use three blade mechanicals. My info is the same for my mechanicals. I will use a 2 inch cut mechanicals for things like turkey.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I like a perfect shot through the boiler room with any blade.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 AM

Use whichever of the two flies best out of your set up. If they are equal, flip a coin...

I like 3 blades over 2, just because you have another blade slicing through the animal.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm assuming you could be refering to either the RM Snypers or Rages. There is no doubt that 3 blades can do more damage than a 2 blade head. The entrance hole of the Snyper is incredible on the 2 blade, I haven't had the opportunity to play with the 3 blade Snyper. The Rage inimitates the Snypers so they too probably leave an incredible entrance hole. The reason I brought up the these heads, even if you are not refering to them is I've shot 4 bucks using the 2 blade Snypers with incredible results. The 3rd blade was not necessary however. Consider your KE when deciding.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Rob, I am considering the Rage. I think the 3 blade would be better, but for some reason everyone is talking about the 2 blade.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Spike

That is because a lot of people are having trouble with the 3 blade ones opening all the time. To me if there is some controversy I would stay away from them and go with what is working.

I shoot the 2 Blade snypers and have had great success. They make huge slices in the deer. That is the only bad thing, its not really a hole its more of a big gash, which is good but not always a good amount of blood comes out that compared to a hole. The positive is they tend to go down so quick it isn't a long tacking job.

ORIGINAL: stinkbelly

Rob, I am considering the Rage. I think the 3 blade would be better, but for some reason everyone is talking about the 2 blade.