Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lost deer with rage?? >

lost deer with rage??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost deer with rage??

Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: lost deer with rage??

I have. I hit a deer in the shoulder. I tracked him for about an hour, until we couldn't see anymore and ran out of blood, so I decided to pull out for the night and come back the next morning. Just my luck, it rained overnight and washed away all the blood. I combed through the property for almost 5 hours the next day, only to come up wet and empty handed[:@]
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

actually this year alone ..between 5 people using them 3 people have lost deer with them.. and they had placed good shots on them.. all were using the 3 blade version.. i myself shot a deer with 1 on wensday morning.. pics posted on 11/05/08 big buck down thread.. .and i didnt find 1 drop of blood .. i got complete pass through, but my arrow pulleda chunk of fat through the exit hole.. he died with in 50 yards though.. another of my buddies crushed a 8pt with 1.. good lung blood for 100 yrd.. and then the blood stopped..we searchd for 3 days .. finally found it.. but yotes had gotten most of it.. shot was near perfect. .4 inches back.. mid-way up the body.. my roommate shot 1.. we found it. .but only 2 of 3 blades opened.. and my other friend shot a9 pt.. and we never found it.. his hunt was on video and the shot looked to be liver/lung... gave the deer 7 hrs to bed down.. (let him sit over night) found blood for 400 yards.. no deer.. didnt bed down 1 time..

needless to say i wont use the 3 blade version ne more
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nwtrykon87

actually this year alone ..between 5 people using them 3 people have lost deer with them.. and they had placed good shots on them.. all were using the 3 blade version.. i myself shot a deer with 1 on wensday morning.. pics posted on 11/05/08 big buck down thread.. .and i didnt find 1 drop of blood .. i got complete pass through, but my arrow pulleda chunk of fat through the exit hole.. he died with in 50 yards though.. another of my buddies crushed a 8pt with 1.. good lung blood for 100 yrd.. and then the blood stopped..we searchd for 3 days .. finally found it.. but yotes had gotten most of it.. shot was near perfect. .4 inches back.. mid-way up the body.. my roommate shot 1.. we found it. .but only 2 of 3 blades opened.. and my other friend shot a9 pt.. and we never found it.. his hunt was on video and the shot looked to be liver/lung... gave the deer 7 hrs to bed down.. (let him sit over night) found blood for 400 yards.. no deer.. didnt bed down 1 time..

needless to say i wont use the 3 blade version ne more
I read your thread and you blame the head?

1. Your deer died in 50 yards but a chunk of fat plugged the hole so lets blame the BH.
2. Your buddy shot one with good lung blood? but you couldn't find it and shot was near perfect. Well if the shot was perfect you would have found it but lets blame the BH. By the way if you didn't find it for three days and the yotes got it I wouldn't think there would be much left to know where you hit it.
3. Roommate shot 1 and found it but only 2 of 3 blades opened. Okey-dokey
4. Another friend shoots one and you think its lung and liver leave it over night and find blood for 400yards. Couldn't be that maybe it wasn't as good shot as you thought so lets blame the BH.

It's the easy way out blaming the bh but maybe look in the mirror first. We're in that day and age where we always have to find something or someone else to blame. If you make a good shot with ANY broadhead it's a dead deer and you're going to find it.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I am a fan of the cut on contact Magnus heads. why, because I know that shotplacement has a lot to do with it, but I know of a guy who on to occations lost deer with a rage head. 1 was a big bodied doe that he shot on a hard quaturing away angel and it was like it hung up in the ribs. and the second deer was a nice 8point buck that he shot in the shoulder blade broadside and he found the arrow to that one where it was not even bloody but it had been broken off right after the insert... Now I have never had it happen to me, So i cant say for sure...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tribal

Don't know how it's possible. It guts and skins them all in one shot.
You must be talking about the 2 blade.

The 3 blade drags them out and butchers them too.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:46 AM

I personally have shot three deer with the rage 3 blade heads. All three were pass-thrus. Last year I pinwheeled a 150 inch 10. He was about 8 yards away and he went about 40 yards. I could see the blood trail from the tree. Being that the deer was that close, the exit hole was on the bottom. The blood basically ran out of him.

I then shot a doe earlier this year and she went about 60 yards. The blood trail was excellent.

I shot a nice buck yesterday at 30 yards. This hit was a bit higher than mid body, and about 3 inches behind the shoulder angling a little foward. However, he was basically level with me because he was uphill from my tree. I had good blood at first and then it was marginal. I was starting to second guess the hit, but we stay persistant. He died within a 100 yards or so. We examined the shot and it was true to its mark. The problem was, that the shot entered and exited parralell to the ground. The deer probably had a gallon or more of blood in the chest cavity, but it hadn't filled up to the level of the hole to really start leaving a lot of blood on the ground.

Anyway, that is my experience. And as was said before by other people, shot placement is the key and I also believe that if the shot is true, you can theoretically kill a deer with a field tip.... I do like the size of the entrance and exit holes with the rage heads. But the biggest reason that I use Rage BH's is because they fly where I want them to.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:20 PM

dont you shoot a rage like a shotgun....thats the problem, and all this time i was yelling pull
Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried them out one time last year. I had a beautiful 8 pointer come in and I shot. The shot looked prefect, just a tad back,but I noticed alot of arrow was hanging out. I waited for 4 hours until some help could get therebefore taking up the track. I fully expected to find this deer in a short distance. Well 20 yards onto the trail I found the arrow....and I only hadabout an inch of penetration. We tracked a poor blood trailfor about 100 yardsthen came back the next morning. We continued to look for the next 3 days and never found a deer.

I saw the same deer during shotgun season, perfectly healthy with a small bald spot in the vital area. No limp or nothing. Now, was the deer still alive because of BH malfunction or some other factor? All I know is that I currently use Montecs, and before that Satelittes, and have never had a problem with penetration. My Montecs fly true so I went ahead and threw away my 2 packs of Rages and don't plan on going back.

They work for some, I just don'thave confidence in them or any other mechanical head.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hita doe high in the shoulder with one and never found it, hardly any blood. It was raining pretty hard though andi did see her fall once but after that she went MIA. Never found another drop of blood or my arrow.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 AM

Like most hunters I will try most new products out there to help me harvest my game. I saw the new all the Rage Broad heads and said Hmmm flies like a field tip rear open blades better penetration I'm game! Now I shoot an Alpine Teto Lite @ 70# draw and have been using Wasp Jackhammers with good success but why not try something new for better blood trails and huge wound channel. So I went to my local archery store and bought some... a bit pricey at $38.00 for 3 heads but why not if they will help besides they have a get your game satisfaction or your money back guarantee. So off to my tree stand I go with my new rear deploy heads, 7:30 am here comes a good buck 10 yds under my stand I draw pin him and wham a nice hit a little high on the shoulder blade but I am shooting straight down....off he goes and I'm waiting to see him crash.........There he goes yds 100 yds 150 out of site. I wait 2 hours and start my track.... No blood or arrow to be found guess no passthrough... I follow his hoof prints for 80 yds... no blood at 125 theres some blood great!! 30 yds later nothing no blood.... now the on the hands and knees search...... tiny specks here and there I search for 5 hours and no deer.......Now I'm no rookie I have been bow hunting since 1970 and can track deer but this one is gone......now I go home sick to my stomach that I lost this deer. OK next time out same thing..... good buck under the stand 12 yds shot and a sparse bloodtrail...... another one lost.......Now I'm really sick I haven't lost 2 deer in a row ever!
So now back to the money back guarantee.... I call Rage and the girl says send back 2 of the heads and pratice head and receipt and we'll refund your money....but she just didn't get that 2 deer are dead in the woods with my arrows and the heads still in them.....well you need to send back 2 heads bla bla bla.... Screw it she's just a puppet I guess I will go back to my Wasp heads and take my lumps for trying something new..... So if you want to loose deer go buy some of those Rage heads!!!!! end rant.....