Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire >

Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

I am going to use one of these Saturday on a paid hunt with Rivers Bend Trophy Outfitters. I can't decide. Last year i used my firstRage and shot my buck at 43 yds quartering away, no pass through, Recovery 40 yards.

I am now very confident at 60 yeards but i'm worried about the Rage at that distance. What do you guys think? Muzzy? Spitfire or stay with Rage?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Will your outfitter allow mechanical heads? Many do not.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

JMHO, keep your shots close and it won't matter.

A lot can go wrong with 60 yard shots at deer.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

IMO there is too much that can go wrong with mechs, like you said no pass thru at forty yards. I think a lot of people are finally admitting to having penetration issues with rage. There is another thread about this right now. I would go with muzzy.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Spike

If you are not stuck on those heads, Try the Shuttle Tlock heads by tight point i have shot these heads since they came out and they are awsome you dont have to sight in for them they fly exactly like a field point but your still getting a fixed blade head with extremly tough blades. I just shot a 250 dressed whitetail and blew thru both shoulders and stuck it 6 inches in the ground at 35 yards. You cant beat that! JMO. Worth a try.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Spike

Well,

I'm stuck with those three choices so i have to go with one of the three. I had decided to go with Rage because of last year's success but then i just read the penetration thread so now i'm hesitant.

This outfitter said mechanicals was ok. The muzzy's fly the worst of all three. As far as taking that long a shot, it will just depend upon the situation. If the buck is not going to come in, then i'll take that shot because i can make it.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

60 yards is too far of a shot at a deer with a bow IMO. You can shoot at 60 and be dead on andthe deer starts to move while the arrow is in flightand now you miss completely or more liklely,wound the animal. I know a lot of guys have shot deer at 60 and they get them but they also don't tell you all the times they've wonded at that range. It's a low percentage shot, I'd say 1 in3 for a really damn good shot. It's not fair to the animal. Aside from that, the Spitfires will sap more energy than the Rages, the Muzzy's are the best choice.

My personal maximum range is 40 yards and he better be standing still, broadsideand the shot be perfectly open in order for me to take it. Think back at all of the shot opportunities you've ever, most good opportunities are from 10 to 30 yards.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Spike

I'm not boasting so please don't take it that way. Last year, 43 yards kneeling down on one knee on my lock-on platform because of a overhang branch out about two thirds of the way to the deer. Hit exactly where i was aiming. The year before that, 55 yards double lung. I'm two for two on my long shots.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't doubt that you can hit a bullseye at 60 yards. The problem is a deer can and often has moved by at least a foot by time your arrow gets there.

Deer and foam are two entirely different things.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Spike

I practice shooting long more than i do close. I practice 40 and 45 yard quartering away shots almost daily on my deer target. At different elevations

Quick Reply: Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.