Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire >

Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

IMO there is too much that can go wrong with mechs, like you said no pass thru at forty yards. I think a lot of people are finally admitting to having penetration issues with rage. There is another thread about this right now. I would go with muzzy.
Penetration problem with Rage? Really!

Now why is it I've taken 3 Kansas whitetails ranging from 15-30 yards and ranging from 250-330lbs live weight shooting 260fps (certainly not fast with today's standards)and NEVER had a problem with getting a complete passthrough. Why is it over and over on this forum and other forums of 100's of 1000's of people using them and getting complete passthroughs? Because Rage gets excellent penetration but maybe, just maybe, its the person behind the bow not making a good shot and blaming the BH.

Tuned bow and shot placement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"like you said no pass thru at forty yards" How do you blame the bh when you have no, ZERO, idea where the shot placement was?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with Muzzy MX-4s
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Spitfire XP's.....they dominate.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: TLockTerror

If you are not stuck on those heads, Try the Shuttle Tlock heads by tight point i have shot these heads since they came out and they are awsome you dont have to sight in for them they fly exactly like a field point but your still getting a fixed blade head with extremly tough blades. I just shot a 250 dressed whitetail and blew thru both shoulders and stuck it 6 inches in the ground at 35 yards. You cant beat that! JMO. Worth a try.
I used these heads, they are very nice. Also like the rage 2 blade, but i would not shoot at anything over 30 yards as of this year. im not confident enough to shoot any farther and wound the animal.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 AM

Of those 3 choices, I would use Spitfires.
I've seen plenty of threads about problems with Rage. Yes, I know some people love them.

I shot 3 deer with Muzzy 100 3 blade and another with Muzzy 125 4 blade and the blood trails were weak. Yes, I know thousands of people have had blood spewing out like a fire hose, but it won't change my previous experience (or opinion). My wife had had a good blood trail with the 90 gr. 4 blade, but I'm operating on the 3 strikes you're out rule.

I have Spitfires in my quiver along with Slick Trick mags, never killed a deer with either, but both fly great and I have seen few problems with Spitfire, plenty of success.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Because Rage gets excellent penetration but maybe, just maybe, its the person behind the bow not making a good shot and blaming the BH.
I've probably been the greatest proponent of the rage heads on these boards since I started using them......11 recoveries ago. I can either accept the fact that they don't blow through deer with my setup (over 70FP's/KE) or I can wonder why I don't get complete pass-thrus. I'm having trouble NOT thinking about the instances in which I haven't gotten complete penetration.

I think the board consensus would agree that I'm extremely cognizant of my bow's performance issues and shortfalls. I spend more time than most deciphering its' idiosynchrasies. With that being said......the rage head is a PHENOMENAL head. I'm just having second thoughts on why I'm not getting complete pass-thrus on all shots. My setup warrants them.

Am I going to abandon them? Probably not. Do I wish the above wasn't the case? Surely, I do.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I like my spitfires
Old 11-06-2008, 06:34 AM

I would stick with the rages. They do amazing damage even without a pass through. It did unreal damage. If they guy that hunted the land next to where I hunt didn't steal it, I could tell you exactually how much, but blood was everywhere.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Hey man you ever watch football you could be 2 for 2 on your long throws then boom 3rd one you throw an interception and you hurt your team and could lose you the game. In other words wound the deer
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 AM

Well what kind of bow do you shoot, what draw length, and what poundage. I shoot a guardian 70lbs with a 26 inch draw. I only shoot at 280fps at 45 yards I have take 2 deer with a rage 3 blade and never had a penetration problem. double lung blow through the deer. with a 350gn arrow probable lighter than what you are shooting.

Quick Reply: Rage, Muzzy, Spitfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.