Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you keep hunting as long as you have tags? >

Do you keep hunting as long as you have tags?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you keep hunting as long as you have tags?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you keep hunting as long as you have tags?

Counting the little guy this morning....I've now seen 4 bucks either grunting and "harassing" does....or "chasing" (according to who you ask).

It's just too good a time to think about taking a day or two off right now. I have limited time to get it done, unencumbered by work, so I'll continue to go hard until I either score or work calls and I am forced to slack off.

Being honest, though...if I shot a nice buck this afternoon...I don't know if I'd hunt next week or not. I may....may not.....even though I'd still have tags.

It ought to be REALLY good for iamyourhuckleberry's visit, here. I'm happy for that. He'll get the best spots I have for his stay.....and I may be there with camera in hand.....if not the bow. It may also be time to dedicate some hunts to the longbow....just to switch it up a bit. I wouldn't have taken that shot with it this morning.....but I also wouldn't have been 23' up.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Usually if i get a nice buck i do slow down my presence in the woods. But i dont stop!Instead of rushing out of work early some days to get to the stand i might just focus on weekends and holidays(I have 3 day weekends). But part of my hunting every year is focused on Doe management, so i just cant stop. I usually have a quota of does that i need to take, and sometimes while trying to get a doe I get another buck. I am allowed 3 bucks a year.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

I am really new to this, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first kill on Monday and I love being out in the woods, but now I trying to figure out the same thing.

I only have a family of 3, and I am the only really big meat eater of the group, so 1, maybe 1 1/2 deer should keep me in meat for the year. Seeing that my freezer capacity at present is only about 3/4 of a deer, that adds to my challenges. Additionally, wow, does it take a long time to butcher a deer...atleast for a first timer with no experience.

I guess I could see if any neighbors would be interested in some free venison...but if I bag another one I am have some significant logisitcs issues.

So far I have not used any tags (well, technically I did)(2 bow, 1 rifle, 1 muzzle loader, 1 anterless) since I took my homely buck on my own property.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Seems like a crazy question.....but I've made a decision.....that if I get a buck I'm after....I'm done. I'd still have all the doe tags I cared for....and one buck tag (I get two buck tags/season).

Do you hunt......as long as you have unfilled tags? Or...do you get what you want/need .......call it a good season.....and end it (if you still have some hunting season left)?
GMMAT,
Aren't you from NC? We can shoot 4 bucks.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

You can on your side of the state, Krabbie. We can shoot 2 on this side.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Darn, didnt realize it was split like that. Learn something new everyday, LOL. Good luck. Bucks were chasing good Sat morning when the temp dropped on my side, but been kinda slow since.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

In NY, Hell, after you take your buck, that's what the bear tag is for; so you can still go in the woods. We hunt in a club on private land, with 25 guys we usually take 11-14 deer each year and lately, that's been pretty good. Last year, I got my 6 pointer the second day of the season, but hunted for bear the rest of the season . If anything comes in my area, and I know who hasn't gotten one, I'm on the radio tellin him where he going. I'm also there to help if the guys want to put on a drive. Sure, your a little more laid back after you got one, Giant games can be watched on a Sunday afternoon for sure, and if it's freezing out, that afternoon game is looking pretty damn good.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!!

In my county I can purchase 8 bonus antlerless here in Indiana. In the whole state you could shoot up to 392 deer with just bonus antlerless. I purchase about 4 or 5 tags a year and atleast attempt to fill them all.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY is pretty generous with tags (I have4 of my own this year if I wanted them I'd have no problem getting a couple more signed over) and as I can utilize only2 deerper season I'm defininately in the category that doesn't fill all the tags. I do however hunt the entire season and should a real slammer show up I will take him and worry latter about who I give the extra meat to.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'll hunt as long as I can (legally).

Quick Reply: Do you keep hunting as long as you have tags?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.