Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to draw back >

how to draw back

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to draw back

Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to draw back

The draw is the sweet science of bowhunting. I used to draw too early, then draw too late....now I think I have it about right.

Use good background cover so you do not get skylined.

Draw when the deer is not on full alert. Try to time the deer by drawing so the he cannot see you and that you can shoot immediately when given the opportunity. Sometimes you have to wait until the deer walks past you before you draw.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Several things come to mind.

Secondly, try to draw on the deer while their head is behind something or, if he's got his head down and is walking, you can get away with it....sometimes. The key here is to have the bow pointed directly at them and draw slowly and smoothly while they are walking. If you're pulling too much weight, you'll sky your bow and make a lot of movement. A good way to find out if you are pulling too much is to put on every single peice of hunting clothing you'll wear, sit flat on your butt on the floor and try to pull the bow slowly and smoothly without moving the bow. If you can't, there is a good chance you are pulling too much weight.

I couldn't agree with this more!! This is one of the first things that came to my mind. I see a lot of people that can't pull their bow back without turning, raising and doing weird things with there body. It took me many years to find the sweet spot in poundage so that I can keep my bow on target during the entire draw cycle. When I am shooting targets, 9 times out of 10 I am within 6" of the spot I want to aim once I reach full draw. Very little to no move ment side to side. All my movement is moving away from the target and it is less that the deer might catch moving.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Deer Duster

thanks for that. also i have a problem when i see a deer i start to breath heavy and shake. what can fix that? please help.
Spend as much time near deer as you can (year round scouting). Shoot 3-D's a lot so that you're confident in making the shot and don't have to worry about it when the time comes. Focus on the shot you're going to make (where, when) and not the deer as it approaches. Breath deep and chill, it's not a deer, it's a target just like the hundreds of 3d's you've smoked all year round.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for that. also i have a problem when i see a deer i start to breath heavy and shake. what can fix that? please help.
Try ripping your heart out of your chest. Thats about the only thing to fix it.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait untill they look the other way??
Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

is your draw weight too much for you to handel? For instance, if I hand my bow to my younger brother, he has to point the bow towards the sky to pull it back. If you can't pull your bow back in any position possible for starting your draw, this results in a lot of jerky movements while attempting the pull back.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 AM

thanks you have provided the most help to me so far and yes i am young i am only 16 and practice every day for at least 30 min. and my bow is at 63 pounds. i am going this afternoon.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM

i dont have a problem with hitting the deer as much as when the deer show up i get buck fever such as i start breathing and get nervous. i know i can hit the deer.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

when i see a deer i start to breath heavy and shake. what can fix that? please help.
If the day comes that you don't get that feeling... then that is the day I think one should put the bow or gun down.

As for the drawing... like some have said, it sounds like your poundage could be too high or you could just be drawing when the deer is in the open. Like everyone else, I prefer to draw when the deers head is behind something, down or looking away. BEFORE a deer is even in site... I run through scenarios of areas that might allow me ample chance to draw back without being caught. I agree that cover is a key, however, I don't believe you need to be in the thickest part of the woods to be successful with a bow.

Like others have mentioned... practice, practice, practice. Usually before the season starts I shoot at my 3D target by thinking to myself its a real life situation. I practice all types of angles and other things. I would begin practicing drawing controlled and fluid on my 3D target. While practicing... think of the target as a live deer.... so that you try to move as little as possible when drawing back. Also work on controlling your breathing in practice. You might not shake in practice... but knowing that you can control your breathing in ANY situation is great,

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 AM

thanks also that helps.

Quick Reply: how to draw back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.