Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Once a spike always a spike? >

Once a spike always a spike?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Once a spike always a spike?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Once a spike always a spike?

I was talking to a friend the other day about how our seasons were going. He asked what I had been seeing and I mentioned I had seen about 3 spikes. "Why didn't you shoot them"? He asked. I told him that as part of our management program there are regulations on the antler size of bucks that you can take. "Yeah, but once a spike, always a spike," he said. Really? I had never heard of this before. Is there any truth to this saying? What does the presence of spikes on our grounds say about the genetics of our herd?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Once a spkie always a spike?

He is wrong. If you kill them you will never know now will you.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Yeah, but once a spike, always a spike," he said.
No, not true. In saying that though I'd rather have a bunch of 1.5 year old 6 points than have dinky little spikes and forks running around. I'm seeing lots of spikes and forks this year, more then usual.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

not true that is just a myth
Old 11-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: Schultzy

No, not true. In saying that though I'd rather have a bunch of 1.5 year old 6 points than have dinky little spikes and forks running around. I'm seeing lots of spikes and forks this year, more then usual.
I deffinetly agree, I would perfer to see nice younger deer as well. I think I've been seeing more spikes then usual this year too. What is this increase and indication of?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was an article in D&DH sometime over the past year or so and they talked about this topic and said that while there is much debate spikes do have the potential to grow into nicer bucks. I think the article was written by Alsheimer and he spoke of deer which he had observed year to year and found that they do mature into nicer bucks a lot of the time. A lot of a the problem with a spike only having spikes is his nutrition, herd and genetics. That being said, even with poor genetics it is highly unlikely that all he will ever amount to is a spike.,
Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not true, ive only seen a few spikes by me and they were all 1.5 year olds. After that you can never tell because they have normal looking racks.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

My cousin is a wildlife bioligist, and He said spikes are late born male fawns usually. That usually gives them a little bit late of a start for there antler development. He said occasionally herd, and genetics will play into it, but its usually just late born fawns. They did a study on it, and at 1 1/2 years old this deer had like 4 inch pencil spikes. At 2 1/2 the deer was an 8 point and scored 90. At 3 1/2 the deer was a 10 point, and scored 126. At 4 1/2 the deer was a 10 again and scored 154. At 5 1/2 still a 10 point, but scored 166. Then at 6 1/2 the deer peaked out at 169" 10 point. He stayed right around 165-169 until He died at age 12. Other bucks seemed to grow at the same rate as this spike did. So unless the deer has something wrong with it causeing it to have spikes, it will grow a bigger rack!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once saw the same buck 3 years in a row. He wasa spike in 2003, a 4 pointer in 2004, and a 7-8 pointer in 2005. I saw him in the same exact 2-3 acre thicket 3 years in a row, almost to the day each year(mid november). I never saw him after that.....so no, they are not always spikes.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

cant believe some people STILL believe this myth

Quick Reply: Once a spike always a spike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.