Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe Down in wV

Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe Down in wV

Well I went out this afternoon and moved my stand from the field edge back to where my buddy killed his first ever deer on opening day. I was just hoping to see anything and take a mature doe. I can't seem to pin point anything on the scrapes and they aren't hitting them as hard as I figured they would. So I got the stand moved and left long enough to eat a bite for lunch and then head back. I climbed the big oak and got everything in place for a evenings hunt. I get comfortable and since it's so early(around 2:30pm), I take a nap...only to be woke up every little bit by squirrels...damn I hate those things. LOL. Anyway I start dozing off again and hear something close, I look to see how close the squirrel is this time to be surprised by a spike. I get stood up and get my wits...the spike takes his time browsing and wanders off. Nothing else is with him. I get woke up fully and start looking around when all at once a big doe steps out where I can see her. I grab my bow and get turned around in her direction and the tether on the harness out of the way. I put the release on my loop and wait. The doe is walking pretty quick and only stopping for a second to root a few leaves.

She finally gets into a shooting lane and I come to full draw...I give her the "maaa", she freezes and looks right at me...but too late...I take a starvation bead and release...the tekan II finds a home in her shoulder passing through behind the opposite shoulder. The deer bulls over and runs full bore down the hill towards the truck....I start cheering in my head...alittle further...alittle further...alittle the further....and just as the deer hits the bottom of the hill she flips head over hoof. One or two kicks and everything is silent again. I look around and knock my g5 sgh arrow and sit back down. Probaly 30min passes since I shot when I hear some brush break I get up expecting a buck to come out but it's two button bucks that have tiny antlers that have broken the skin. Not even a inch out of the hide. They browse around for almost a hour before getting out of sight. Another couple does come off the point above me right at dark and I finally get down. I got retrieve my arrow and head down the hill to find my doe. Turns out she had been shot before...probay within the last couple days because the wound was fresh. But it was very very high hit, that barely open up the skin. It could actually be a bad cut from a fence or something as well, but I assume it's from a broadhead...cause it almost looked like a cut from a fixed blade. I don't know for sure but after skinning this evening it didn't seem like it hurt anything. Didn't even tear the meat...just kind of opened up a 2.5" in the hide.

My hole however was vicious...both lungs, broke the entry shoulder, and came out tight on the opposite shoulder. Nose and mouth was full of bubbles and blood. Exit shoulder was bloodshot really bad...so I am still impressed with the tekan II broadheads. I do have a couple 2 blade rages I want to try out though. Maybe tomorrow when I go back out in the morning.

Thanks To: Scentblocker, Mathews, Easton, G5, Bucknasty, Beenfarr, MeanV, Fuse, Realtree, Summit, and Cabelas.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doe Down in wV

Congrats!! The do I shot yesterday had bubble coming out of her entry hole, It was crazy looking.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Nice doe...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats. nice job
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!