Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 church and hunting >

church and hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

church and hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: church and hunting

I'm gonna share with you guys a little testimony of my own. I found out in 2005 that i had a kidney disease, that was basically shutting down my kidneys, what they call endstage renal failure. So for the past 3 years I have been on medication trying to keep them going, just this past month i had taken a turn for the worse and am going to need a kidney transplant. Keep in mind i was saved when i was a teenager ( thats another testimony in its own so i had that relationship with jesus. about a month ago my family and myself went in front of the church to ask for prayer and to see if anyone was willing to get tested to be a potential living donor. So one of the first guys stood up and said I'll do it, I have known this man for many years, he's one of our deacons at the church. He went and got tested, along with others, including my mom and brother. I found out 3 days ago that my deacon was a match, they told me that it was almost as if he was my long lost brother! My own brother was not a match, and my mom was not a match. we had only been looking for a donor for a month, and the man that is the deacon at my church, a long time friend, and a brother in christ.....is going to be my kidney donor. So about a month earlier i was listening to a sermon about "how do you know if you're really saved" (did i really accept jesus into my heart? or was i just going through the motions) I had pondered on this for a while, but that day, when i got the news that a donor had been found, and it was a man that i had known for years, a deacon at my church and a brother in christ....i knew immediately that I was in Jesus' hands, there was already a plan, gods plan for my life. Some people are on the donor list waiting for years for a cadaver donor, a living donor...or even finding that perfect match, and i had only been waiting a month. I pray that everyone would come to know the christ I know.

I may not goto church every sunday, but i do have my time with the lord.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Vito1

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

So how do we know who's right? Different religions have different interpretations of the bible. Obviously, each religion feels they are correct. Shouldn't there be continuity with one god?
They only believe folk tales or what they remember a preacher said.
Could it not be agrued that the bible is a book of folk tales written to get a point across? I mean that in a good way. How do we know it is the word of god? Blind faith?

Again,I ask these questions because I want to learn similar to Finch. I am a curious person.
Well, I guess a person has a choice. I don't understand the choice, just thankful for the one I took. I sometimes read through Judges and hear Samson and his story, or read about Lot and how his daughtersslept with him to keep their line. And I look up and beg for God to help me to understand. One can read the Word of God and believe or he can reject. I highly suggest all on this page reads it, and believe it, or reject it.

But the bottom line is, I cannot reject God. I have tried. He talked to me, he saved me. Christianity didn't suit me at all.

I studied nordic paganism, and all kinds of garbage over the years. What was not to love about nordic mythology? You live your life for revenge, you take what you want, you live life hard and fast, and when you die, you go to Valhalla, and hunt a pig every night, roast it, have sex, drink and feast hard, and wake up the next day and do it again. Now that suited me. But I found it to be a fairy tale.

But I cannot and will not reject God. It doesn't suit me, but it feels real. Christianity is a religion of pure faith in things you cannot see.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

I will be quiet after this, not because you tell me to or say that I am ignorant, but because I choose to. I have read the bible all my life - as a child and an adult. I have been to more masses and services than I can count. And I have studied many religious texts out of interest.I may not be a religious leader but Iam not ignorant. Someone who is ignorant is someone who hasn't taken the time to inform themselves of the topic they are speaking of. I have, though my interpretation of bible passages- when it comes to hell inparticular - may be different that your's as they are among various people of religious faiths and historians. Have an enjoyable life and happy hunting.
A person can go to church thier whole life and not have salvation. Going to masses won't save you.

minn, you said something that was wrong. It was pointed out and showed to you it was wrong. Really nothing more to say.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony
The hardness of their hearts LT ....... and they want to be their own god .......
That is a harsh comment. Ignorant might be another way to describe it. How can you say why someone doesn't choose to believe? Hardness of hearts or want to be their own god? I have to admit, PT, I am a little surprised at how you've handled this discussion. I would think insulting others is no way to convert them into believers. It always amazes me that some "believers" will look down their nose at "nonbelievers".

Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
bigcountry

The hardness of their hearts LT ....... and they want to be their own god .......
That is a harsh comment. Ignorant might be another way to describe it. How can you say why someone doesn't choose to believe? Hardness of hearts or want to be their own god? I have to admit, PT, I am a little surprised at how you've handled this discussion. I would think insulting others is no way to convert them into believers. It always amazes me that some "believers" will look down their nose at "nonbelievers".
I don't see it as looking down on nonbelievers, but I think he is taking scripture. The Bible refers to the hardness of thier hearts keeps them from believing.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Christianity is a religion of pure faith in things you cannot see.
That is the reason I feel most have a hard time believing. You are asking them to believe in something that has no facts or proof. It is tough to get someone to have blind faith in anything, especially something you can't prove.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
bigcountry

Christianity is a religion of pure faith in things you cannot see.
That is the reason I feel most have a hard time believing. You are asking them to believe in something that has no facts or proof. It is tough to get someone to have blind faith in anything, especially something you can't prove.
No doubt. But God has the right to choose who to reveal what to who. I sure don't deserve his grace or love. But he gave it to me.

Curiosity is a good thing. Maybe its a step he's guiding you in.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM

I don't see it as looking down on nonbelievers, but I think he is taking scripture. The Bible refers to the hardness of thier hearts keeps them from believing.
I didn't mean PT's comments specifically, just my past experiences. I should have put a space before that sentence.

It's hard for a "nonbeliever" to believe in a book written a very long time ago with no proof to back it up. It's hard to understand why someone should live their life based on this book.

I spend 18 years in a catholic church and 10 years in a catholic school before I started asking questions. I had never questioned my relligion or faith until things stopped making sense to me. I asked questions that I wasn't supposed to ask or questions that could not be answered logically. I have read the bible multiple times. I choose not to believe based on experience. I don't understand why others can't except that. I have nothing against those that believe if they are respectful. I don't like when believers feel they are better than nonbelievers or thatnonbelievers need to be"saved".
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

My church has a service on Wednesday nights. That's the service I go to during hunting season.

Darrall
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My "problem" with Christians today....is the belief by some of themthat the only place to worship is in Church. What is "Church"? Can it be abstract? Does it really matter what you think?

I'm with Schulty. I pick and choose my times to have my talks.....and I'd rather be in his back yard when we do so.

What troubles me about religious "conflicts" (i.e. should I hunt or go to Church?; Miss a Sunday @ Church?; etc...) is the utter hypocrisy of it all. Our son used to go to Christian School (still goes to Church, there)....and they would preach how ANY alcohol was dreadfully sinful. Ditto some music of today (including some that might surprise you). Yet these people are involved in affairs......weigh 300#'s+.......etc.. That sickens me.

Hunting is personal. A man's relationship with God is personal. I wish everyone wouldfocus their energy into tending totheir own relationships.
While I agree with some of what you said, it's certainly not fair to sterotype all Christians this way. I mean come on,"these people are ALL involved in affairs..... weigh 300#," that's ridiculous! I think it's really sad that you find it necessaryto attack others in order to justify yourself.

If you don't want to go to church, then don't go, but not all Christians are as you say. I've been aChristian for over 19 years, and while I admit that I'm not perfect,I'm nothaving an affair on my wife either, and at 6 foot 2, I weigh slightly over 200lbs. LOL. I do realize that in all walks of life, there are hypocrites, but using them as a crutch won't get you anywhere.

Personally, I do agree with you that going to church does not give you a relationship with God, and one's relationship with him is personal, butone's relationship with God - or lack there of - should not be measured by another personsweakness.

Luke 16:15Jesussaid to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.