Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A reply to HSUS, feedback please >

A reply to HSUS, feedback please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A reply to HSUS, feedback please

Old 03-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default A reply to HSUS, feedback please

below is a letter I' ve been working on to send to the HSUS. I like some feedback from fellow hunters as to what they think.
Hello,
I have heard many things about the humane society' s views on hunting, so I decided to stop and check it for myself. I must say all of the “fact' s” hsus presented are untrue. HSUS presents an argument that hunters are cold blooded uncaring sadists that are out to maim and injury wildlife. That is the farthest thing from the truth. As a hunter my primary goal is a quick humane death for the animal. I love and respect the animal I hunt because from it I get life, a better life than I could have if I didn' t hunt. I spend more time studying deer and turkeys than doing most other things. I enjoy watching them in the off season. I feel that the implication that hunters are only cruel and that they do not love and respect the animals they hunt is untrue, insulting, and based in ignorance.
HSUS called a bow and arrow an inhumane weapon. That is just totally untrue. When an arrow is properly sharp and properly placed the animal, in allot of cases, will never even knows it' s but hit. With a proper hit the animal almost always dies when 15-30 seconds.
HSUS claims that hunting is not a valid method for controlling animal populations. Why is it then that the vast majority of wildlife biologists support hunting as the single best method of herd control? The same logic can be applied to HSUS' s argument that hunting harms game populations. If it would in fact do that, then why would the vast majority of biologist’s still support hunting? Biologist’s inside and outside of the employment of any hunting related company support hunting. That is because they are basing they view in modern science not just emotional thinking.
More animals every year die from car related accidents than hunting. Should we ban all driving? I doubt that will ever happen. The fact is that not all animals die a quick humane death regardless of how they die. This is not a Walt Disney movie this is real life. Other predators do not make quick humane kills. Lions in Africa have documented as taking as long as a week, of continued attack and injury to the same animal, to bring down their prey. Humans have been predators since human life began and will continue to be until human life ends. We as humans try to minimize suffering, and for the vast majority we do a good job. Every living thing on the planet has a spot in the food chain. Our spot as humans just happens to be at the top.
There bad hunters, just as there are bad pet owners, just as there bad human beings in general. That' s what laws are for. The vast majority of hunters fully support game laws and regulations. The claim more illegal animals are taken every year than legal is incorrect, every wildlife commission in the USA estimates that the number of illegal game taken is far below the amount of legally taken far out numbers illegal taken game. If these people are already poaching then the outlawing of hunting will make them stop how? They are already breaking the law so I strongly believe they would just continue to do so.
Lumping all hunters together as a group that doesn' t love and support and care about animals is very insulting to those of us you do love and respect the animals we hunt.
Thank you for your time,
Shawn Campbell

Old 03-27-2003, 09:57 AM
nub

Default RE: A reply to HSUS, feedback please

Not bad. Needs some proof reading and a spell check and you' ll be good to go.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:25 AM

your letter is good and gets your point across ,however you do know that either, none of those aholes will read it or it will just fall on deaf ears or eyes in this case , but there is no harm in trying go for it![:-]
Old 03-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: xibowhunter

your letter is good and gets your point across ,however you do know that either, none of those aholes will read it or it will just fall on deaf ears or eyes in this case , but there is no harm in trying go for it![:-]
I know that, but I guess I feel like I gotta get my point out to these people and maybe educate them a little.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:00 AM

good luck voodoo i hope it works
Old 03-27-2003, 11:35 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Good letter, gets your point across well in a logical, non-confrontational way. Take it to a local english teacher and have it proof-read before you send it.