Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

busted......

Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default busted......

today, i found what i think is/was/should be a hot spot from here on out.......

long story short, i pulled an all day sit. 5pm 3 snorts fire out to my left....dont know if it caught me moving, or if it caught my wind(it was swirling...had estrous from a local deer farm out..good stuff..im pretty dang careful about my own scent and clothes and gear...but i know its impossible to be 1000% scent free)

but anyways.....lets ASSUME this is a trophy buck..ASSUME he seen, heard and smelled me....

what do i do?? give him a couple days and let him find a hot doe and get dumb and slip up?? i dont see it being real long...they should have been movin today, but i didnt see it....

i dont know what it was other than a deer...a lone deer, not real long after i did some pretty hard rattling, it wouldnt shock me to be a shooter buck...i dont know...spot had enough tracks in the snow to tell me that i may have messed up a good thing....but with the seeking and chasing, and in big woods, 1 deer blowing at me doesnt seem too bad when these deer can move a mile or 2 and not cut a hard road....

but what should i do? how long should i wait? etc etc....lay off the calling and scent for a good while in that area incase they associate it with danger(me)?

i need a new tree in that spot period...i got all the cover in the world....i just cant stand sitting 10ft off the ground....if i got winded, i'll blame the height as my reason lol...

Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: busted......

Captn, I'm not much of a fan of the estrous, it spoils quickly and if it's wrong. ? The deer could have been blowing from it, rather than you but of course, if it's downwind of it, it's downwind of you, another reason I'm not fan of scents. To work, the deer need to be downwind. But alas, alot of deer get killed that way and the market is big. Who really knows?

Good luck. I hate to hear a deer that I don't see, our minds of course think the worst and there goes the next world record. [&:]
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: busted......

i hear ya Rob....ive shyed from scents for the same reason.......but, ive seen my scent control methods work with shooters litterally dead down wind of me, and crossing my trail i walked in on....so i figured for these "big woods" a drag and a wick or 2 may be the ticket....i even went the extra 10 miles and got top of the line stuff from a local farm...it really does smell alot different than any store bought stuff ive smelled. and maybe with it out, they wont notice me as much as they would if it were just plain ole me and no estrous scent

i think it REALLY whiggs out the does...maybe it was a doe that really hated the stuff...

the buck my buddy hit the other night, froze and no doubt in my mind was going to bee line to my wick....

just looking for an edge for this big woods stuff...at home on my tiny woodlots, i dont think i'll even TAKE it let alone use it....

i willingly admit, when it blew i was turning to scan to that direction.....not saying it couldnt have seen me, but i couldnt see or hear it run......so who knows. if that snow didnt burn off, i bet i would seen it comin the whole way

thats hunting!

......his rack was so wide i could hear it hitting trees as he ran away im a good sport.....

no matter WHAT it was, its important to ME that i got busted PERIOD. i dont wanna hear that noise, and see those white flags...if i only see a rather small number of deer a season, and only 1 or 2 shooters, i cant afford to be getting busted. thats why i automatically assume it was a monster shooter...just to send it home for myself...