Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lost 2 in 2 days >

lost 2 in 2 days

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost 2 in 2 days

Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lost 2 in 2 days

you know, If I had made a bad shot I could understand, but 2 deer hit in the chest cavity ?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

This may have nothing to do with it, but how long are you waiting before tracking? In any case, it happens, don't give up, just sharpen your archery/hunting skills as much as you can, and hope and pray for the best!

Hey, look on the bright side, you're getting plenty of opportunities.

Hang in there and Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your head up and head to the practice range. Hope you don't get tore up to much on here for starting this thread!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Was the first shot a pass thru?the second must not have been ,if feathers were dry.Take your bow in and get it completely tuned.You don't seem to be getting the most penetration with it.what poundage are you shooting.what's the setup?you shuld have stayed with the buck over as many properties as needed.IMO Good Luck
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry you are going through what you are.Bowhunting will really test a lot of aspects of your personality.It is always darkest before the dawn! What other analogies can I use to cheer you up? Most all of us have experienced similar things either in hunting or other area's of our lives.If you love it don't give up!
Like others have said give yourself a rest for a bit and than go back at it with new enthusiasm! Best of luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Listen .... in reality, it happens more than most will admit on here ..... I almost gave up bowhunting for the exact same reason years ago ... I have passed up soooooo many deer because of it .... my shots have to be close to perfect ... and you know how much that happens ..... I am all about the kill part of the hunt ....but to wound one and not find it is one of the worst feelings I know ....
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to find something to learn from each situation. Keep practicing and get help with tracking. I suspect the guys you refer to on TV are supported by an army of trackers that help to recover their poor hits.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning.
I agree. To me, it sounded like that buck was bedded down and you jumped it looking for him. If you have any doubts with your shot, wait longer, it doesn't hurt. I had that happen to me last year. I shot a tad back on my buck and waited 3 hours. We found him DEAD bedded down. If I was to go after him after I shot, he definately would of gotten up and high tailed it to the next state!!! Just relax man and you will get another shot.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning.
I think I have heard about as many deer being lost this year as I have heard deer being killed. Thats not on here either.... thats at the shop.

Honestly, I think what a lot of folks are doing is that right there.... they are giving it 30 minutes and starting in on the blood trail. Thats a bit of an exaggerated example (in some cases), but the effect is the same.

Unless I watch a deer crash and burn.... it is a minimum 2-3 hours if I am confident I made a perfect shot. If the shot feels anything less than perfect.... say a lung and the liver.... then its 3-4 hours. And thats a minimum. It is no more dark at 11pm than it is at 8pm... the difference is the deer is dead at 11 and lost from bumping at 8. Deer are funny.... stick one high with a Muzzy and he'll die in 60 yards.... stick another one perfect with a Rage and he'll go 400 yards (example... I've heard both this year). Of course.... bow hunters are funny too.... I'm glad hunters don't lie or exaggerate at all.........
Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry about your misfortune's! Keep your chin up brother it will get better!

Quick Reply: lost 2 in 2 days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.