HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lost 2 in 2 days
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lost 2 in 2 days

ORIGINAL: buffhntr

the only thing I see is maybe you are pushing them try next time as soon as you shoot sit back down and wait till dark walk out to your truck and come back in the morning.
I think I have heard about as many deer being lost this year as I have heard deer being killed. Thats not on here either.... thats at the shop.

Honestly, I think what a lot of folks are doing is that right there.... they are giving it 30 minutes and starting in on the blood trail. Thats a bit of an exaggerated example (in some cases), but the effect is the same.

Unless I watch a deer crash and burn.... it is a minimum 2-3 hours if I am confident I made a perfect shot. If the shot feels anything less than perfect.... say a lung and the liver.... then its 3-4 hours. And thats a minimum. It is no more dark at 11pm than it is at 8pm... the difference is the deer is dead at 11 and lost from bumping at 8. Deer are funny.... stick one high with a Muzzy and he'll die in 60 yards.... stick another one perfect with a Rage and he'll go 400 yards (example... I've heard both this year). Of course.... bow hunters are funny too.... I'm glad hunters don't lie or exaggerate at all.........