Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how long did it take >

how long did it take

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how long did it take

Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how long did it take

It took me 2.5 years but it was worth the wait!!! Keep at it!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It took a few years of walking thru the woods in work boots and blue jeans and building crappy homemade stands before my 40lb Ben Pearson and I connected.
That was about 1974 and there really wasn't many of us out there except I****he indian and Mr. Hill.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

no on the first he got behind a tree and when i went to let my draw down i tripped the release a d shot over him. The second was a perfect quarter away with nothing in the way i got buck fever and was shaking to much
ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Are you forcing the shot? Be patent and it will come. Use the wind as your ally not your enemy.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

first deer was a small buck... third time out in the first season i ever hunted.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I started bowhunting in 2005. That year I shot a 90 something inch 8 pointer on the second day of the bowseason. in 2006 a few weeks into the season a 130ish 9 pointer came that i shot at. it got away. last year i hunted all bowseason and did not see a buck and this year three weeks into bowseason i got a 135" 9 pointer. I have not taken a doe while bowhunting yet. Here in texas, during bowseason (bow only is the month of oct.) when there are does, that more than likely means she has a fawn or two with her. I'm just not going to do that. I did miss a doe when my arrow deflected off ofa tree limb a couple of years ago in late december.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a doe my first year, a doe my second, a spike my third, a doe and a six my fourth, ......
Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Got a deer my first year rifle hunting and 2nd year bowhunting.

I doesn't sound like your "doomed' as it sounds like you have just made some mistakes.

Youneed to calm downand get the job done the next time you have an opportunity.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It took me about an hour with my bow to get a doe and about 3 times in the stand with a rifle.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was my 2nd year of bowhunting. Then I went 6 years until another. then I stuck 1 for the next 7 years.Now I'm good for at least 1 a year.

This guy that hunts with me is on his 26th year of bowhunting and 0 deer. He has only drawn his bow twice. Now that's a run of crap luck. Of course he doesn't take to seriously. He reads in the stands and has no scent control. So basically you get out what you put in.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 or 4 years it took me. I used to drive out to very heavily hunted public lands when I wasa teenager...most of the time I saw nothing and didn't know how to hunt. Then my friend offered to take me out on his farm on public land when I was 19-20...I killed two bucks that day, a 3 pointer and a 5 pointer. It was well worth the wait and I believe the long wait has helped me to become a better hunter. I appreciate just seeing one deer on a sit.

Quick Reply: how long did it take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.