Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Met the boss of the woods today... amazing! >

Met the boss of the woods today... amazing!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Met the boss of the woods today... amazing!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Met the boss of the woods today... amazing!

Just before you could see real well he slunk in like a ghost this morning... the boss of the woods. I walked in while it wasdark and hung 2 Wildlife Research golden estrous leafs out front about 17 yards in front of the stand. I had never used them before but figured they make life easier than bottles and wicks so I thought I'd giveit a try.

I had just climbed up into the standand had rigged up a tree umbrella cause it was raining a bit. I was sitting there in an ancient old apple orchard. I had my hat off cooling down from the walk in. I had an arrow nocked and the bow was hanging.

About 100 yards away I heard this terrible racket... branches breaking... some knocking sounds. I thought it was one of the young kids sneaking in on me and trying to set up a climber on theland. It has happened in the past and I was gonna pay him a visit about 10am.

Any way, not 5 minutes later I saw this body comingin like a ghost and could see a spectacular rack. Much wider andtaller than 2 of my previousgun kills that I have mounted (131-9pt and 141-11pt). He came in like he was pulled in on a rope straight tothe scent leaf directly in front of me at 17 yards.

It happened so fast. I had enough time to grab the bow and pull it back just as he reached the scent leaf. Then he literally jumped 180 degrees and took a step behind a couple small trees and looked right up at me. Then bounded away 30 yards and stood where it was thick for about 1 minute. He never blew at me or snorted. I could see the horns but not the body and then he was gone. Never saw him or heard him leave. He just vanished.

I don't know how many points because it was still to dark to see them clearly although I could see his body well enough to shoot butat that point I wasn't trying to count. The rack was really white so I could see the2main beams were at least 5 or6 inches longer and wider thanmy 9 point, which measures 18" wide and each side is18" long.

With that length,there must be room for another set of tines. Based on my 9 point which is really a 4X4 with a 3" kicker off the right brow tine,I figure this buck must go at least in the low to high 150's.

I think he saw my movement but I think what spooked him was seeing the tree umbrella against the early morning sky silhoette.

Questions: Do you think he will come back to this standsiteand do you think I should use the estrous leafs again?
Should I try another location with the estrous leaves?

Sorry so long but what an amazing thing to see a creature like that, even though I didn't kill him.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Met the boss of the woods today... amazing!

If those leaves brought him in go ahead and use them. If he didn't make you you go for it again but move your stand a good 75-100 yards. With the rut he'll come to the scent leaves but may stay away from that particular spot unless he see's a doe. Just my thoughts on it. Good luck with him!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

It worked once, try them leaves again. I'd pack up and move to a different tree though If you can. Try going In the direction of where you think he's coming from.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

He should come back. Just rattle, grunt, and use scent.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

It is a ladder stand and it's hard to find another tree in this old orchard. The trees are only about 20' to 25' tall and the shooting lanes are cluttered. Another spot is not very likely.

I do have another stand in the same piece of woods about 150 yards west, and another about 450 yards northeast and uphill from this stand. I also have one about 250 yards due east along a ravine and near a feeding field.

I thought I'd wait a few days and then go back. Use the scent leaves again along with some dominant buck lure and a rattle bag and see what I can drum up. We've got some stormy weather here in central NY for the next few days anyhow. Your thoughts?