Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27 >

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single lung shot

I'm a little torn on the 1 lung issue. I too believe they can occasionaly survive when hit in only one lung.The biggest issue with a 1 lung hit that is high - no blood to follow, or very little at best. That is why what Bob (and John Trout) said can be a good thing - keeping em moving keeps the blood flowing. I totally agree, 1 lung deer do CRAZY stuff, and usually don'trun 100-200yds and bed up like a liver or gut shot deer will do. Often times they are just getting it, and it usually always makes for a tough track regardless. After hunting with my club for many years, and trailing quite a few 1 lungers, I will submit that I certainly don't have the answer - and that there may probably not be a correct answer, because its tough to know the severity of the hit. I've found em both ways (waiting and trailing asap) and lost em both ways. Most ended up being a grid search that found em. I wish you the best.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you walk right up on him....you can still hunt the afternoon.

If you bump him....you're in for a long afternoon and evening, potentially.
WAIT as long as possible!!!! My brother had a hit just like what you are describing .... deer search couldn't find it cuz he didn't wait long enough .....
x10

Pretty simple - "When in doubt, back out....". I would give him at least 4 hours. Like was mentioned, if you bump him -good chance your screwed....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Spike

I appreciate everyones advice-I decided to wait a little over 4 hours from the shot and I am heading out now to look for him...wish me luck!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, good luck! Show us the pics when you get him!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck! Carry your bow and be quiet!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

also, let us know if you did in fact only hit one lung or not!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 PM

so whats the outcome????
Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Spike

Sadly I must report that I did not find the buck. I had good blood starting about 100 from where it was hit. The first spot I found looked like a cough splattering. I had good blood for about 90 yards then it grew faint. Near the end of where I last found blood, it jumped over a few stacked fallen trees and there are approx 20 blood drops on the trees. It made a 90 degree turn on a logging road and 30 yards later the blood stopped. The last spot of blood has 6 blood drops w/in a foot diameter and thats it. Cant seem to find any more blood. My arrow is presumably still in the deer. The blood was mostly dark red in color (which makes me think if I did hit vitals, it is liver shot).

I am a little confused about the blood just stopping, makes me think it may have been coming out of his mouth (especially w/ the blood splatter).

I scoured the area from 2 when I went out until 6:30 when I was running short on light. I plan on going out tomorrow to look some more in the morning until 9ish and after my 11am interview. I will try to update the status after that.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, you need to get back on him, and take a buddy that is a patient tracker if you can. Another set of good eyes always helps. After 4 hours, your eyes were probably shot and you were just getting disgusted.

Did he get on a deer trail when you lost him? Or did you lose him a brushy area?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you Bob.

Quick Reply: Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.