Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27 >

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single lung shot

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

If I was 100% that I only got one lung with no other organ, I would get on it after about 20 minutes.
I'm curious Bob, please expound.
I would suspect that pushing the animal would keep the lung from clotting and possibly healing. It has been said on here ( I have no experience of my own on this) that single lung hits can heal or that a deer can survive a single lung hit (live with one lung?) so maybe pushing and causing more bleeding and exertion would hasten and ensure death. The one thing I would worry about is how could you be sure that you only got one lung and no other organ.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like most of the others said here give him as much time as you can. Sounds like the temps will be favorable according to Jeff. One lung hits can do weird things. I've seen fawns still alive 8 hours later. I know It doesn't make much sense but It Is what It Is.

Good luck when you get back out there. Keep an eye open and take It slow and quite.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

With our temps, today....just me....but I would give him 4 hours. That'll put you picking up the trail at around 2:00. Temps are on your side, today.....so I would be cautious.

Chances are....he's dead right now. He'll be just as dead in a few hours, though. I wish you luck on your recovery.
I couldn't agree more with this advice- very sound.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

When it doubt, wait. It gets no easier than that. If you're gonna wait, make it 4 or 5 hours, and/or leave yourself enough time to at least track for an hour or 2 with daylight if you can in case you get a chance on a follow up shot at a weak deer.

You said it was quarting away right? you may of caught the liver also. just be patient. there are no doctors in the woods.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Single lungs aren't high percentage recoveries, blood and hair might tell if you hit liver and/or stomach, in which case wait 4-6 hours. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would suspect that pushing the animal would keep the lung from clotting and possibly healing. It has been said on here ( I have no experience of my own on this) that single lung hits can heal or that a deer can survive a single lung hit (live with one lung?) so maybe pushing and causing more bleeding and exertion would hasten and ensure death. The one thing I would worry about is how could you be sure that you only got one lung and no other organ.
I'm not too sure about that one. We trailed a doe fawn that was shot In the morning for 8 hours one day with a one lung hit chasing her around and around and finally said the heck with It and came back the following morning and she was dead. We had no Idea she was lung shot, she showed no sign of It what so ever. We figured It was a high hit above the spine.

Best thing Is to not start to early on a one lung hit. To many people do this all to often and by by deer![>:] We got lucky because we had snow otherwise we would of never got that deer.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

First, please make note of the 100% certainty point. Most of time you will find out it is one lung afterstarting the tracking job.

A one lung hit is one of the toughest track job that can be made. John Trout in his book "Finding Wounded Deer" stated that this is his least liked hit and that he would rather have to track a stomach or intestine hit then the one lung hit.

Basically a deer will not act act as you would think it would. The deer will not necessarily seek water, head downhill, bed down (other then normally bedding down), or even slow down.

Getting on the deer will help to keep its heart rate up which should help slow down
coagulation and put blood on the ground. I don't believe that you want to get him running, but keep him moving. Hopefully you could get the chance for a follow up shot. A single lung hit in itself will not necessarily be enough to kill the deer.
This is one of the toughest track jobs that you can get into and the deer can go on for miles. There are those, including myself that believe that a single lunged deer has a chance of survival.

For more on it, I'd have to refer you to the expert, John Trout.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Well since you're guessing that you hit only one lung, I would wait til the afternoon. my cousin hit his doe and didnt have any blood until around the 25-30 yd mark, he clipped the other lung (5 yd shot, not good penetration) and we found her within 1 hour after he shot her. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've read this before.......quite some time ago. I've experienced it myself, and sometimes, like you said it's tough to tell a one lung hit. Frothy blood on one side of the deers trail is one indicator.

Keeping the deer moving is the tough one. To many hunters will hire a bounty hunting party and go after the animal. One other person is all that's needed most of the time. And go quietly.

Mabye someone can enlighten me on this subject..........I once read that a deer's lungs are 2 separate pieces; as opposed to a human's, which are conntected. Hence why a single lung-shot deer can take time to expire. Anyone ever hear of this? I'm at work.....I can't look this up

I supposed a lot of it also depends on how the broadhead hit the one lung. If you jsut tagged the edge of it, it's not gonna be fun.

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

First, please make note of the 100% certainty point. Most of time you will find out it is one lung afterstarting the tracking job.

A one lung hit is one of the toughest track job that can be made. John Trout in his book "Finding Wounded Deer" stated that this is his least liked hit and that he would rather have to track a stomach or intestine hit then the one lung hit.

Basically a deer will not act act as you would think it would. The deer will not necessarily seek water, head downhill, bed down (other then normally bedding down), or even slow down.

Getting on the deer will help to keep its heart rate up which should help slow down
coagulation and put blood on the ground. I don't believe that you want to get him running, but keep him moving. Hopefully you could get the chance for a follow up shot. A single lung hit in itself will not necessarily be enough to kill the deer.
This is one of the toughest track jobs that you can get into and the deer can go on for miles. There are those, including myself that believe that a single lunged deer has a chance of survival.

For more on it, I'd have to refer you to the expert, John Trout.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once read that a deer's lungs are 2 separate pieces; as opposed to a human's, which are conntected. Hence why a single lung-shot deer can take time to expire. Anyone ever hear of this? I'm at work.....I can't look this up
Actually, I believe there deer's lungs are chambered like a humans. Humans can survive on one lung. Somemammal are not however andif one lungis punctured, they both will collapse.

Quick Reply: Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.