Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slightly funny "chasing" scenario >

Slightly funny "chasing" scenario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slightly funny "chasing" scenario

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Slightly funny "chasing" scenario

I saw my first glimpse of chasing this morning.....and a slightly funny twist to my hunt.

EVER thought to yourself......"I wish that buck chasing that doe would get the hell out of the way so I could shoot the doe?"....lol

Small 4 pointer I've seen a few times, now.....and I know the doe groups AND where the 4 point is bedding. In this woodlot....I wouldn't hesitate to take the doe (the buck doesn't interest me). So .....I was waiting for him to clear so that I could get a shot at the doe. Never happened[8D]

Had him at 8-9yds.....standing there with the "Please shoot me" sign big as day....lol. She stayed under the canopy of some small trees, though.

She lives to another day. He's dumber than dirt.....and won't make it long, around here. I'm also hoping his lack of intelligence is contagious.....or will be, soon.

Still think we're a week or so away from prime time.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slightly funny "chasing" scenario

I’ve had the “stop chasing her for a second so she holds still for a shot” thought once. He did, she did, then I did.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, thats pretty funny Jeff, Ive never found myself thinking that. As a matter of fact my shooting Doe's completely changes starting this week. I want all the hot Mama's I can get hanging around my hunting areas. More bait the better!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Andy this woodlot is 10 acres. It's across the road from my house....and I get to see most of the deer there at one time or another drinking from the pond, there. I know exactly where these deer are bedding (on property I can't hunt....but have walked). If I thought for a minute there was a bruiser haunting this little patch.....I'd leave 'em be, too. There's a doe group of about 10 or more that use it.....so I thought taking one wouldn't adversely affect the spot (If I got a slam dunk shot).

It'll be interesting to see if any travelers come looking for these gals, though. Your sentiment makes me rethink my decision a little.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - I know you're into population control/balance, but I'd hold off shooting a doe that was being chased, I know its early and this is the first time that 4 pt felt the magic tingle between his legs when he caught a wiff of her, but in a few days or maybe even hours that 4pt will get run off by a bigger buck.

Its been my experience to stay in an area where there is a hot doe. the big guys let the young dumb bucks tire her out then come in for the real fun... I'd be back in that area tonight, if not right now...

Just my opinion, you know you're area and if doe killing is what it needs, then so be it...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - just read your response to andy.. you should consider that deer will travel quite far for a good piece of tail (think of the extents you've gone through) especially this early when there may be only 1 hot doe...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Andy this woodlot is 10 acres. It's across the road from my house....and I get to see most of the deer there at one time or another drinking from the pond, there. I know exactly where these deer are bedding (on property I can't hunt....but have walked). If I thought for a minute there was a bruiser haunting this little patch.....I'd leave 'em be, too. There's a doe group of about 10 or more that use it.....so I thought taking one wouldn't adversely affect the spot (If I got a slam dunk shot).

It'll be interesting to see if any travelers come looking for these gals, though. Your sentiment makes me rethink my decision a little.
Yeah I see your point Jeff, our hunting strategies probably will never been similarparticularly in that location where you can monitor the Does from your hosue. My situation is different in that respect as Im hunting big properties in comparison, Im sure you did the right thing, theres only so much bait you can use
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, in 06' I did not get to shoot a doe in October b/c every one of them that came into my shooting area would not stand still long enough to get a shot off....I had 2 or 3 different young bucks that were chasing them everywhere, it was rather funny at times but a little frustrating too...In that county I was hunting they only allow doe's to be taken in October....I did not get any doe's that year but it was an exciting October for seeing these deer rchasing them doe'sall over the place....
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kind off topic from Jeffs original post and this does apply different in every hunting situation.I 100% agree with HuntingEd about seeing a Doe being pursued by a buck, hunt that location like right now! I tell all my friends hunting our properties, you see a Doe go by with a buck in chase and they are out of range, get out of your stand and go sit somewhere you can get a shot because many times Ive watched bucks come down the same trail as that hot Doe just came down within seconds, minutes or even hours especially the first ones that come into estrus.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I won't shoot a doe that is being chased. NO way....you never know who might come trolling....

Just because its a small lot, and you see the same deer regularly - has no bearing at all on mr big wandering through. He may be there, you just might not have seen him yet. The more hot does you can have around, the better your odds are of dragging him out in daylight. As we all have seen....1 hot doe can do amazing things to your deer woods. I've seen as many as 8 bucks chasing 1 doe...incredible.

I pray it turns on this week where I am....looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Slightly funny "chasing" scenario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.