Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5shot,  broadhead decision!!! >

5shot, broadhead decision!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5shot, broadhead decision!!!

Old 03-26-2003, 12:55 PM

Default 5shot, broadhead decision!!!

Hey 5shot,

I was talking to another member on another forum and he is trying to decide which broadhead to use. I told him that I could get a very good idea of what would be good choices by talkin with you.

Here is what he told me about his set-up. He is using a Fred Bear TRX set at 65# with a 29" draw length. The arrows he is using are 30" Carbon Express CX 300' s. He doesn' t know his speed or anything, which would be nice to know, but, I figured that I would post this anyways to see if you could atleast give him some ideas on what would be good for this set-up.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 5shot, broadhead decision!!!

Well, before 5 shot gives you the skinny I figure I can throw in my 2 cents worth. HE REALLY REALLY needs to know his speed before he decides on a broadhead. At least he needs it to know all the options. With out it he might as well just stick with what' s tried and true... cut to the tip, or Muzzy, or Thunderheads etc etc. Of course his speed will determine K.E. etc. He also should know just for his own reference. He probably can use just about anything.... assuming his tune is decent. What weight does he want to use? Too many unanswered questions. Without the answers.... pick one and try it.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:18 PM

Well, I' m shooting 65# and 29" draw length. Plus the TRX is a faster bow than mine. I believe the arrows are probably about the same as mine, maybe a little lighter. I would say he has plenty for mechanical broadheads if that is what he is wanting. The bowjackson site would help him find his speed.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with David pretty much. I don' t think you can go wrong with a quality head from Muzzy, magnus, New archery products Rocky mtn etc. A great choice would be a quality fixed 3 blade head like a thunderhead, Rocky ti or Muzzy. Their are so many good heads on the market. I like mechanicals but They are not for everyone. Without knowning his exact setup I like to stick with a fixed blade head.