Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 8 YARDS..yet no cigar. >

8 YARDS..yet no cigar.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

8 YARDS..yet no cigar.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Default 8 YARDS..yet no cigar.

Well, wish I could be posting a first archery buck right about now, but it just didnt pan out. This was my first time setting foot on this piece since last December, and it was well worth the wait.

I dont know if it was because I left it undisturbed, or its just that time of year...but deer were moving today excellent. I saw 5 deer from stand, all within 60-70 yards and all were bucks.

Morning started with a 4 point passing by at 30 yards, elected to not fling an arrow.

Heard a hen on the distant ridge, so I got out the diaphram and got her all fired up in hopes of having her come in. She definitely closed ground, but I gave up on her. Next I knew of her she was at 20 yards, and I was twiddling thumbs, LOL. Got the bow off the hook fine but she busted me drawing.

About 830 I got that feeling. Can't describe it but you can just tell there are deer in the area. Stood up and was glassing the woods behind the stand, when I heard something behind me (infront of stand). I slowly turn to see a nice 8 jogging down the trail straight for me, he dips down into the creek bed to cross, so I grab the bow. He is already in range when he pops up on my side....but heading straight for me....he closes the distance to 8 yards before he turns broadside....right behind a still green and heavy leaved sapling. I couldnt bring myself to try and snake an arrow in there for the kill, so I waited at full draw for about2 minutes before letting down. 2 more steps and he was mine, but he turns and feeds straight away from me never turning broadside again until 50 yards out. I contemplated the texas heart shot. He was about 115ish, a heck of a would be buck for my first, especially the way this year has gone thus far.

A small 8, (i thought was a 6, which is why I didnt shoot) followed him about 2 minutes later. I had numerous shot ops, but who takes the shot at a smaller 6 while a bigger 8 is still in shot?[8D] I hang the bow and reach for the binos before they are out of sight to get a better look at them...and I realize both are 8s. about 115-120 and 100 respectively.

walked up within 30 yards of a differnt 4 pointer on the sneak out of stand at 11. Froze against side of tree, and he literally walked within 2-3 feet of me being able to grab his antlers, lol.

This pm had higher swirling winds,(so much for weather.com predictions)so I didnt have much hopes. did see one deer, but I only caught the flash of antlers as he was behind a cane thicket, and I couldnt tell how big. By the time I had binos on him he was out of sight.

So ill be back out in the am, with a confidence boost this time. Sitting on stand later sure is easier after an 8 yard encounter with a buck you now consider a shooter, i was shakin like a leaf after he was out of range. I did this on the pronghorn I shot too, didnt get shaken up until afterwards. I've got a good feeling about this year. I just need to get it done before Nov 8, as the neighbors invite friends from AL up, and they massacre every 1.5 yo buck in the entire county that one weekend (I wouldnt exaggerate either)lol

Anyone else seeing a spike in activity in the last few days?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 8 YARDS..yet no cigar.

Sounds like an amazing hunt buddy, gotta be pumped to get back out there!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great hunt, you get one this year for sure...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would suck to see something like that and not being able to get a shot. Gl getting him. I have a feeling, he steps out again, he will have a hole in him