Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it a shooter? >

Is it a shooter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it a shooter?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it a shooter?

Smack him buddy! I'd love to see him walk past me tomorrow night at 20yds.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 AM

In my neck of the woods it is. It's not a monster trophy by any means but 1. I need experience and 2. I need meat in the freezer. For my first bow kill, I'll take that 1 1/2 year old with no second thoughts.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure you do what makes you happy. There are some really great hunters here who set high standards for themselves and I truly admire that but for alot of guys a deer of any kind is a true trophy.

I trying to improve but some seasons I am lucky to see more than a few deer so I hesitate in being over selective. I have ligitimate passes on three deer of that calibur this seasonand let them walkBUT that does not mean they should make the same mistake again.

There is something very special about counting coup on a buck without releasing an arrow but I'm not really sure I'm gonna make a habit out of it.

One of my biggest mistakes was learning how to score a deer in the first place. For me success can't be measured by a score or anyone elses standards.

I know FIRST hand of a fellow forum member who shot a small buck last year and did not enter it in the contest because it did not measure up to "standards". Very Very Sad...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

like most of the other guys have said, YOU, need to be happy with the choice YOU make, For your first buck with a bow, Any buck would be a trophy. My first bow buck was a little 6'er just like that one, the next year I got an 8pt, every year I try to one up the last. Thats just how I go about it. You will make the choice you want to make. don't let other dictate how you hunt.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2008, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: MartinJaguarArcher

Yeah, I just don't want to be like the rest of these trigger happy hunters in my area that kill anything that moves. At the same time this deer would be the biggest buck I have ever encountered. After all, I only have the rights to hunt 40 acres that is surrounded by 100+ acres in which, you can hear gun shots going off all year long. I have only killed two does in my entire hunting career and might decide to just take one of the many does in the area. I am more interested in the meat anyhow. It would be nice to see a buck grow to the size of what most of you guys are harvesting.
Well here is the deal, if you pass on this deer you dont get the meat or the largest buck you have seen.
Also to add if anyone hunting this area would not pass on this deer. Then they are not helping the deer get bigger by taking this size of a deer.

So in the end it rest on you. Take it and have a harvest, Pass and maybe someone else wont get it this year.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Spike

Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

He'd get an arrow from me, if that helps you any.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ask Ill answer. I see a short snout, slim neck small 5 pt rack on a 110-125 lb frame. I would encourage anyone to let this deer walk, but the choice is ultamitely yours. Good luck with your decision.

ORIGINAL: MartinJaguarArcher

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

No. You ask my opinion your going to get it. I personally see no prize in a 110 lb yearling 5 point buck. Shoot the doe same result. JMHO!
and I appreciate everyone's opinion but, you must keep in mind the quality of deer in NC is much different then the deer you are used to in MN. As I said in my previous post I am going to choose to pass on this deer and hope to see him another season. BTW, count your points again.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

do wat u want but personally i would pass he doesnt have a bad rack for a yearling

Quick Reply: Is it a shooter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.