Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it a shooter? >

Is it a shooter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it a shooter?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Is it a shooter?

Well, I haven't been hunting this area very long and I placed a trail cam on what looked like a heavily traveled area a couple of weeks ago. I came up with 5 pics over two weeks time and this buck appeared on the camera twice at the same time of day. My question is, do you guys think I should let this deer walk? My only concern is that he will not make it through the season because this is a heavily hunted area. What kind of standards should I abide by?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it a shooter?

Its all up to you. Its not the size of deer killed, its the rush you get harvesting the animal.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I just don't want to be like the rest of these trigger happy hunters in my area that kill anything that moves. At the same time this deer would be the biggest buck I have ever encountered. After all, I only have the rights to hunt 40 acres that is surrounded by 100+ acres in which, you can hear gun shots going off all year long. I have only killed two does in my entire hunting career and might decide to just take one of the many does in the area. I am more interested in the meat anyhow. It would be nice to see a buck grow to the size of what most of you guys are harvesting.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its all personal preference bud.

Butttttt, if you're going by management standards or anything like that, definitely an immature, non-harvestable buck
Old 10-25-2008, 10:13 PM

It is completely your call if you want to shoot him, never let anyone else opinion dictate what you can or cannot shoot.

The "if I dont shoot it someone else will" statement has alwats bugged me. Look at it this way, if you shoot him, you know he's dead and wont be bigger next year. If you let him walk there is a chance, no matter how slim, that he does make it.

Bottom line, if he puts a smile on your face, then you go right ahead and take him.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do what you gotta do, if it will make you happy then sling an arrow!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

He will be good and tender meat like a veelcalf. I just got a Button buck tonight because i thought it was a doe. ... but if there are other bigger deer in the area pass him up and let him get bigger.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

You can answer your own question, do whatever feels right to you, its the only way you will truly be satisfied with the outcome.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

Is a yearling buck a shooter to me? NO

Is it a shooter to you? That is for you to decide...not us.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Typical Buck

Its up to you.

He may be the biggest deer you have seen or encountered out there, but even though I dont hunt your area, I would be willing to bet a pretty penny that there are bigger deer out there than him.

Quick Reply: Is it a shooter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.