Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing stand

Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM

Default climbing stand

How many people get tired of having to climb every time you hunt? I am going to invest in some gorilla stands and sticks after this year so i dont have to climb all the time. I thought i would just go on a rant about having to climb.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: climbing stand

Don't you have to climb the sticks?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then what would be the point of having a climber?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 PM

A few years back I realized I was not as young as I use to be)))) My boys call it my "old man syndrome".

I decided to invest in a few ladder stands and love them. I only use my climber to move around scouting and checking out new possible areas. If you use the climber enough (practice) you should be able to set up in the dark and be up a tree in no time. ALWAYS WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS.

Dave
Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one many years ago but found that the area's I hunt don't offer enough usabletree's to make them a good tool for me, so I have pretty much always been a hang on guyover the climber's......I like the hang on's but like said before the ladders have to be climbed too!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have not used mine in so longI am not even sure were it is. You cant beat a lock on and climbing sticks IMO.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've found my success with climbers is almost none at all...b/c you need the straightest tree in the area which screws you multiple ways
But let's just list some negatives....

1)You have to hunt with respect to trees, then deer paths while it should be the other way around

2)Usually the tallest trees straight enough to climb are located in the middle of an empty area(because they never had to fight for light so they grew straight), resulting in a loss of cover

3)The closer to water you get the more trees tend to narrow at the top, resulting in a slipping or tilted climber.

4)Climbers have handle bars which are 1 more thing to worry about when the deer approaches.

5)Climbers are too comfortable, lol, seriously, they're hard to stand up from b/c those seats resist your momentum (maybe just me)

6)Climbers require trees with cleared bases...from experience my most successful trees have bases that are usually covered with thorn bushes, b/c the deer are coming out of the thick stuff.

My climber was the biggest waste of money I've spent to date...at least I got a saftey harness out of it. But if I was approaching an area I've never seen before, knowing I'd have to pick a tree out of the blue...I might go with a climber, b/c they're MUCH easier to carry and pack.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both, but probably hang on's more than a climber now.

I have 6 Remington .300 mag hang ons and they are nice stands for the money. I paid like $45 shipped from Sportsmans guide about4 yrs ago, and they are big stands and have a footrest. Pretty comfortable for a 3-4 hr hunt, then your butt wears out like most hang on stands with a fold down seat. I hang them and leave em for the season.

Last year I invested in what I feel was a great tool for me. The Millenium hang on. It has an incredbly awesome seat that you can sit in dawn to dark if you wanted to (and its easy to get out of). It also uses a hanging receiver block that you put on the tree....then you just slide the stand into the block when you get there. This is great for3 reasons.

1. You only need 1 stand
2. You don't have to leave your stand up if you are hunting an area that you are worried about doing so.
3. You are portable quickly, you can climb down with your stand....and roll to another and climb up and hunt.

I purchased 10 receivers, so now I have 10 potential stand sights....and only had to buy 1 stand. Check them out....great stand. If you google....you can find wholesalers and get them alot cheaper than Cabelas and others.

I also bought a bunch of their climbing sticks.....they are nice, 20' and have pegs that you cant slip off of.

Mike

Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

I use both, but probably hang on's more than a climber now.

I have 6 Remington .300 mag hang ons and they are nice stands for the money. I paid like $45 shipped from Sportsmans guide about4 yrs ago, and they are big stands and have a footrest. Pretty comfortable for a 3-4 hr hunt, then your butt wears out like most hang on stands with a fold down seat. I hang them and leave em for the season.

Last year I invested in what I feel was a great tool for me. The Millenium hang on. It has an incredbly awesome seat that you can sit in dawn to dark if you wanted to (and its easy to get out of). It also uses a hanging receiver block that you put on the tree....then you just slide the stand into the block when you get there. This is great for3 reasons.

1. You only need 1 stand
2. You don't have to leave your stand up if you are hunting an area that you are worried about doing so.
3. You are portable quickly, you can climb down with your stand....and roll to another and climb up and hunt.

I purchased 10 receivers, so now I have 10 potential stand sights....and only had to buy 1 stand. Check them out....great stand. If you google....you can find wholesalers and get them alot cheaper than Cabelas and others.

I also bought a bunch of their climbing sticks.....they are nice, 20' and have pegs that you cant slip off of.

Mike
The millenium is my next tree stand!! I've been looking at them and thinking about asking santa. I hunt public lands so countless receivers isn't the name of my game, but I REALLY REALLY like the fact that you reach around the tree supporting only the weight of the receiver, which should result in alot less noise and alot less near death experiences trying to strap the stand around the tree (I have an old, heavy portable that gives me alota trouble hanging)

WV hunter.... $220 stand X 10 ($25 receivers)....you'd better like the treestand, lol.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chrowski

The millenium is my next tree stand!! I've been looking at them and thinking about asking santa. I hunt public lands so countless receivers isn't the name of my game, but I REALLY REALLY like the fact that you reach around the tree supporting only the weight of the receiver, which should result in alot less noise and alot less near death experiences trying to strap the stand around the tree (I have an old, heavy portable that gives me alota trouble hanging)

WV hunter.... $220 stand X 10 ($25 receivers)....you'd better like the treestand, lol.
LOL, yeah I went on blind faith (and the recommendation of folks here that have them). I actually only paid $185 for the stand, and $20 for each receiver....BUT...throw in the 6 sets of sticks ($50 each), and the chill pad....

I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LOVE THEM!

Go here for better prices and great service. His prices are a tad more this year, but still better than Cabelas and such.

http://millenniumstands.com/

Quick Reply: climbing stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.