Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife! >

Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife!

What kind of cutlery does everyone use to skin their deer? I managed to lose my best knife and I'm using a back up and it loses it's edge very, very fast. I'm not looking to break the bank either...let's say around $75 and under. Suggestions?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife!

Dave, I have an old bear cutlery knife that was my dad's thatis my favorite but I will use my pocket knife (solingen)if need be....

You guys had any luck over there yet???
Old 10-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I managed to get a big doe last weekend. I saw 3 on Monday, no shots. Andy (SCBigBuckHunter) saw 4 last night...2 does, a spike, and a BB.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good, I have seen a bunch of animals but nothing to shoot yet....I have been saving the doe's for my daughter and wife.....I have been trying to get on some of the big exotics and had a run in with a pretty good buck but I wanted to give him another year. Now I am back in Mexico till the 19th of Nov.....Good luck to you guys!!!! Also I think that knife is Bear MCG or MGC something like that, anyhow it is a good one and the edge lasts for a pretty good while!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

NCRemington....there is a decent thread about a related topic if you want to take a look. Some info may cross over. Might be worth a look. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3123117
Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

As fer skinning a deer. I use a knife VERY VERY little. Maybe about 30 sec of knife work and it's done. The rest is just pullin, so a skinning knife hasnt been a top priority to me.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

As fer skinning a deer. I use a knife VERY VERY little. Maybe about 30 sec of knife work and it's done. The rest is just pullin, so a skinning knife hasnt been a top priority to me.
Same here when i used to do it all....no thanks i take mine to the processor and have them skin it for $10 ill let them do the work they do a much better job than i do
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM

I've got a whole bunch of different knives that all work great. The big thing is that they're all surgically, scary sharp.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 PM

I have a buck knife fixed blade I use for gutting, and I use a small Gerber folding knife for skinning.

For me, the knife isn't so much the priority, than having a sharp edge. I bought a Lansky kit a few years ago, and never have problems with an edge, I always have a razor sharp edge now.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 4" fillet knife purchased at Gander. It works great! And was under $10. Best skinning knife you will buy I guarantee you!

Quick Reply: Do it yourself cleaners...I need a knife!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.