Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Update Wounded? Video Buck. >

Update Wounded? Video Buck.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Update Wounded? Video Buck.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Update Wounded? Video Buck.

I also say over the spine and out the other side just above the guts. I didn't read the whole original post but here's one thing I think many people are not considering:

The camera angle of the buck in question is not nearly the same angle of the illustrations/diagrams used to suppost the gutshot claims. When you are looking down at a deer from an elevated position, 1 foot down from where you thinkor visually see asthe top of its back is not really 1 foot down from the horizontal top of its back. This might only make sense to a few but you have to take a 3-d image of the deer and rotate it in your head to see what I'm saying. If you can do that, you'll see that it wasn't gutshot.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Update Wounded? Video Buck.

If you look at the video Rob posted there is not near the angle affect as in the still photos. The video footage is very close to broadside. The video footage is also the only place that you can see any sort of topographical landmarks to get an idea of where the exit wound actually is located on the deer.

There is a huge difference between anatomy and topographical anatomy. Believe me, things are not always where they seem. To get any kind of true appreciation of where things are located on a living, moving animal you have to be able to see identifiable, fixedlandmarks and then equate from there. The angle becomes irrelevant in the video that was taken. The hair tuft/exit wound is clearly below the spine. It would need to be 4 inches higher on that deer to have been above the spine.

To any who butcher their own. The next deer you kill, after you strip off the backstraps, see how little of an angle you need to place on your arrow for it to enter the body cavity just in front of the pelvis. The amount of room between the topline and the spine near the rear end of a deer is nowhere near the same as over the chest cavity. To shoot a deer from and elevated postion, arrow entering and exiting a deer just in front of the pelvis, and not passing below the spine would require your stand height to be about 4 feet off the ground, and then you better be short. To accomplish this you would almost need to be shooting straight horizontalthrough the deer. There just isn't a lot of room back there to accomplish this. This is a completely different situation than sending one through the backstraps up near the chest and shoulder blades.