Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting on ground >

Hunting on ground

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting on ground

Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting on ground

How many of you guys do it with a compound? I am wanting to give this a try because i never have gotten a deer while we where both on the ground and i think it would be super exciting. I guess i will just have to be super still, but do you guys who have done it have any pointers to hand out?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting on ground

I don't do it with a Compound but a Longbow! I had 2 real nice bucks at 15 yards for about 40 minutes tonight, no buck tag for this area, its earn a buck! I enjoy hunting form the ground, if i want to be mobile, I am!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

i use to hunt on the ground all the time. build a good blind or buy one and tuck your self away the best you can so deer cant see anything

Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive hunted a ton on the ground. just make sure you are tucked in enough that you dont stand out too much. have good camo possibly a leafy suit. and MAKE SURE you can move enough to get your bow around and drawn back without being to noticeable.
I killed one a couple years back from about 5-6 yards off of the ground. the deer pretty much ran up on me, scared me tbh. i drew back and smoked her.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ground hunting is fun. I’ve got a couple this way. I just try to get tucked in the brush somewhere or next to a big tree. You really have to watch your scent & wind, because you don’t have the safety net of the scent carrying over the deer like in a tree. I know a guy who only hunts from the ground (afraid of heights) and he is real successful each season.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to give it a shot myself this year again also. Shot a doe 2 years ago sitting under a huge pine tree. She never knew I was there. This year I've got a turkey blind (I don't know if you'd call it a blind cause its like 6 feet long by 2 feet tall) I'm gonna set up also just for a little extra cover for drawing back.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting from the ground and stalking with a bow are the ultimate challenge IMO. I've taken some nice bucks (and some does) doing both. It's pretty cool being on their level. Like others said be extra cautious of the wind and movement. It's a whole different ballgame when you're on the same level as them.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 6 or 8 deer from the ground (no blind) already and it is pretty cool..........I actually purposely did this last night on a field edge where I thought 3 bucks from the other night would be coming out. There are no trees to climb and the wind wouldn't work 9 times out of 10 to set up on the trails so I brushed myself in amongst some good natural cover where I thought their travels down the field edge would take them.
They never showed but I guarantee you they would have never seen me or knew what happened til' it was too late.

Good camo with lots of contrast that blends in well to the brush you are hiding in is step #1. Don't allow yourself to be outlined or skylined or you're toast.
Step #2 is being comfortable and not fidgeting around.......move slowly. turn your head slowly not your whole body.

A buck I shot 5 or 6 years ago here in PA actually walked 6 yards right past me as I sat on the ground.......I simply sat still, let him walk by and when his head went behind a tree, drew and nailed him quartering away.

Without good cover you are really at a disadvantage so choose your set-ups wisely, and ones that only afford shooting to one specific trail allow you to really fine tune how the animal approaches and keeps you from having to worry about looking behind or around you.

It can be done and it IS fun.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to try this tomorrow. I have been waiting for the perfect SE wind and it looks like I'll get that tomorrow. The place I will be has no tree for my climber and has nice thick grass along the cut corn field edge about 3 feet tall with heavy timber behind me. I have seen deer walk into this little "pocket" in the field to feed in the evenings.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

I use to ground hunt, and I killed a few deer including my first buck. All you gotta do is stay still, and wait for the right moment to pull up your bow just like you would in a stand. Also, spray down extremely good with cover scent, cause your at ground level, no chance for your wind to blow over the deer's nose.

Quick Reply: Hunting on ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.