HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting on ground
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting on ground

I've shot 6 or 8 deer from the ground (no blind) already and it is pretty cool..........I actually purposely did this last night on a field edge where I thought 3 bucks from the other night would be coming out. There are no trees to climb and the wind wouldn't work 9 times out of 10 to set up on the trails so I brushed myself in amongst some good natural cover where I thought their travels down the field edge would take them.
They never showed but I guarantee you they would have never seen me or knew what happened til' it was too late.

Good camo with lots of contrast that blends in well to the brush you are hiding in is step #1. Don't allow yourself to be outlined or skylined or you're toast.
Step #2 is being comfortable and not fidgeting around.......move slowly. turn your head slowly not your whole body.

A buck I shot 5 or 6 years ago here in PA actually walked 6 yards right past me as I sat on the ground.......I simply sat still, let him walk by and when his head went behind a tree, drew and nailed him quartering away.

Without good cover you are really at a disadvantage so choose your set-ups wisely, and ones that only afford shooting to one specific trail allow you to really fine tune how the animal approaches and keeps you from having to worry about looking behind or around you.

It can be done and it IS fun.