Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lease Problem. Can i let him do this? >

Lease Problem. Can i let him do this?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lease Problem. Can i let him do this?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lease Problem. Can i let him do this?

So couple weeks before bow season, i leased 40 acres of a piece of property that a logging company logged off during the spring/summer. The owner of the log company and i agreed on a price of $250 for the 2008 hunting season. I go the the neighbors next to the lease this weekend and introduce my self and we begin talkin. Long story short, the neighbor says the owner of the logging company gave him and 2 other guys permission to cut the tops out for the firewood. [:@]. I was furious after that but kept it to myself.

Then to make things worst, Sunday morning at 9:00 the A-hole starts cutting wood. I was so ticked off then and got out of there. I tryed calling the owner to see what the heck was up but he wasn't in the office today.

Does he have the right to give people permission to cut up tree tops while we leased it??
Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Default RE: Lease Problem. Can i let him do this?

It depends on if you have a contract or not stating the rules, If not just go back next door and let him know when
you will be there and ask him not to cut any wood.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM

check your paperwork over real good. you might of git hosed on this. but you might be able to work something out with the neighbirs too tho. good luck.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I learned the hard way that chainsaws don't really disrupt the deer. I had a neightbor start making firewood 200 yards from my bow stand in late October last year, mid afternoon. After 30 minutes, I left the stand to hunt the other side of the 40 acres because I couldn't stand all the racket.

Only saw does that evening but when I retrieved my pictures from the trail camera at the original stand location, a ten pointer came by the stand 1 hour after I had left so he was in the area the whole time and started moving again 30 minutes after the chainsaw was retired.

Patience.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: cjohnson664

It depends on if you have a contract or not stating the rules, If not just go back next door and let him know when
you will be there and ask him not to cut any wood.
This seems like the most logical answer to me, since the price to hunt is great.
I would ask this guy nicely if he would not cut when your hunting.
If he wont, im sure he cant cut wood every single day you want to hunt. Unless he is doing it on purpose not liking hunters. Maybe not let him see your vehicle when your in the woods if this turns out to be the deal.
If all else fails, you just gained some knowledge from this whole situation.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

He leased you the rights to hunt. Other than that he can let people do what ever they want besides hunt. I would talk to the neighbors who are cutting and see if they need a hand. If not they be more reseptive to cut wood durning the mid day.

Chainsaws don't effect deer that much as long as you aren't hunting right on top of them.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Problem solved! He said his boys are the one who gave permission to the guys. He said he would take care of it.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would guess he does have the right to do this. I know it sucks, but you leased the hunting rights, everything else is fair game. Think about it like this, if you lease the hunting rights to a farm, does that mean they cannot farm it while you are hunting?