Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how many shots have you goten at 1 deer? >

how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Old 03-26-2003, 04:05 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

I missed a forkhorn buck 4 times. Shot over his back three times and under him once. Had one arrow left and just kept it in the quiver. He never did run off. Milled around for about twenty minutes after I missed him and walked away.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I' m being especially naughty tonight. MEZ, is this the same guy that in the thread about longer shots out West claims to have been able to get all his shots at 30 and under. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... it' s called " PRACTICE" . I don' t want you to in anyway assume I' m picking on you.... just being my old Crotchetty Smart A$$ self.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow. theres alot more second chances than i thought
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 PM

guys do the deer in your area have downs syndrome or something geez i get one and only one shot but hopefully if imiss the big one i will get another chance
Old 03-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

David, that is a hilarious story, but I think your wife was probaly the one who beat you up when you came home so late, so don' t lie.
Purty near the same thing happened to me, I was hunting an island in Florida and all it did was rain and rain and rained some more just before archery season had opened. Haveing hiked in prior to daylight and wadeing the swamps and combating the mosqitoes I finally arrived at my stand and sat. At late morning the rains came, and they came hard, and I mean real hard as it rained until my fletchings were totally soaked at this time. At about the time I was wondering about my own sanity in sitting in this rain storm when to my right side at 25 yrds in came in a deer, I stood and placed my pin on its shoulder, very easy shot, so I thought, ZIPP, right by it, and its walking towards me broadside and doesn' t realize a thing because its raining so hard, I place another 2117 onto the rest, I pull back and now the deer is 15 yrds away and again another ZIPP.[:' (] The deer meandered in the thicket without be knowing that I was shooting at it. I felt like crapp haveing missed such two easy shots. After looking at my fletchings sticking in ground for an hour I went to get up as I had enuff of this fun for one day and rain water still running down the knapp of my neck, as I went to stand up the same deer comes back, 20 yrds away as I am trying to dry my wet fletchings on my wet camo ( Duhhh!!) I nocked the 3rd deadly projectile ( I am praying at this time) and again ZIPP. [] What the heck!!! (EDITED for huntingnet.) Again the deer had no knowledge that I had shot at it and now its quartering away at 25 yrds and I reached for arrow #4 in the quiver and it slips off or I fumbled as I watched my next to last arrow fall to the ground beneath my stand in slow motion and with approximately $50.00 laying out on the forest floor and now I have lost all my confidence on my last arrow, now I am really praying and promiseing church next Sunday if I can connect, Again I knocked my arrow, the last and final chance to redeem myself, I pull back in the raining storm on my final arrow, deer still at 25 yrds, I got to full draw and released. Arrow #5 joins the others on the forest floor, funny thing is, I' m not even mad, I just accepted it as the deer stayed around me for 15 more minutes as I am looking for a tree branch to widdle into an arrow, but wishful thinking.[:' (] That gut wrenching feeling hurted purty bad, not to mention my hunting buddies ribbing. What are friends for?
Because of this, I will carry one arrow that has vanes instead of a quiver full of fletchings. Live and learn.
Bobby
Old 03-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was lucky enough to get a second shot on 2 deer and a hog with my MQ32. It just goes to show how quiet that bow was (even though I couldn' t shoot it straight) . I had some problems with estimation and got lucky with second shots. Fortunately, a second shot was all I needed.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:24 PM

This past season while bow hunting the heavy rut, I had a doe decoy out with tinks 69 on it. A good 4x4 came in and saw and smelled the decoy. It made a beeline for it which brought it straight to my stand. At 20 yards I let fly my arrow tipped with a 100 gr. thunderhead, the arrow cleaned through and stuck in the ground beyond. The buck merely bounded about 15-20 yards away turned and slowly headed back in my direction. I knew that I had hit the deer but slowly nocked another arrow just in case I needed it. The deer again got within 20 yards and I could see that it was bleeding pretty badly but it didn' t act like a shot deer so I shot it again.(shot #2) Again the deer bounded away but stopped and turned to look at the doe decoy that was haunting it. I was amazed that instead of dropping it was trying to wobble its way back to its doe. And again it came close enough to my stand to shoot it again. I probably didn' t need to but it was still on its feet and headed for the decoy. This time it simply laid down in front of me and appeared to die a peaceful death. I had shot this same deer 3 times before it expired. It was determined to get to the hot doe decoy that I had out. Any one of the 3 shots would have put it down in time and all three were in the kill zone.(an IBO kill zone).
Old 03-27-2003, 01:07 AM

OK heres the story; Years ago, I had just hit the ground after being in the stand all morning, when 3 does came running in, apparently respondind to the fawn distress call I had blown only moments before climbing down. I am standing on a wooded hillside of about a 30 degree angle, in full camo. Two of the deer ran past me but one of them stopped uphill in front of me. I estimated the range at 20yds and shot. Missed low. The doe then started walking uphill when I released the 2nd arrow; missed low. The deer again walked up the hill and I missed low. This happened one more time before I ran out of shots. The bottom line is this; The deer kept moving up hill and my mis- judgement of the distance was proportional to the path the deer was taking, resulting in all my shots being low between it' s legs. 4 shots in all. I have learned my lesson since then.

PS- The bow I was using was a Bear Whitetail II, so don' t brag about multiple shots being possible because your particular bow brand is quiet. That bow was a tuba. Some times the deer just don' t care.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Said with shame, I missed one buck twice last year because of the dreaded buck fever. I could not believe that he let me get a second shot at him....must have been that quiet bow...

A buddy of mine missed a doe twice before finally connecting with the third shot several years ago if that means anything to you.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

121553... MAN.... you are BAD. [&:] You should give up archery. You know that couldn' t happen to anyone else on these boards.[] I' m with you.. all you can do at the point of the last miss is to laugh and shake your head. Maybe do a little mumbling or banging of the head on the tree... but you have to laugh. Hey, you have a great hunting story that everyone wants to hear but no one wants to be involved in it. YOU SIR are the winner of the first ever " BBS Boobie Prize" . I love it.[:-]

Quick Reply: how many shots have you goten at 1 deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.