Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great night (no kill) Long read >

Great night (no kill) Long read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great night (no kill) Long read

Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Great night (no kill) Long read

Well after an uneventful morning I had to go to work. i ended up getting off at 6 so i shoot home knowing i'm only gonna have about an hour for the stand i was gonna hunt. well I checked the edge of the pasture to make sure there wasnt any already in it. so i shoot back to my stand and just as i'm about to tie my bow on and get ready to climb I look over and there is a deer working its way through the brush less than 50 yards away, and its legal buck! a decent8 pointer.Imediately I hit the ground and threw my mask on and as quietly untied my bow and nocked an arrow.
He worked to about 30 yards but offered no shot. he started to walk toward the pasture. what the heck I thought. so i started the stalk. there was almost no wind. i lost sight of him for a sec and started toward him. as i get closeto the field edge and see some branches move. i move a little closer and realize he is making a scrape! with his attention else where i was able to get to within 15 yards! to watch a deer make a scrape when your eye level at less than 15 yards is a rush. then he steps broadside offering me the perfect shot. only one problem. 7 yards of the 15 was o the other side of the fence. which isn't my property. so all I could do is sit and watch him.

Best night i have had in a long time and i didnt even get a shot off.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great night (no kill) Long read

That's very cool! I love watching them go about their normal routines, oblivious to your presence.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep after him man. We need a score.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a real close call! Good luck!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm gonna score. he is not the one i really want but after that show he put on he thinks he is the mack daddy of the woods. i even snort wheezed at him and looked my way then went back to his business. i guess i should have grabbed the video camera instead of my bow. lol
dont worry MOTOWN we will put one down soon. just watching him do that shows me they are entering the first stages.

GAME TIME BABY!!!!