Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 my first bow kill...long read >

my first bow kill...long read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my first bow kill...long read

Old 09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default my first bow kill...long read

sept 25th, thurs.
was first in line , got there @ 3:30 a.m....the walk in was scary but i got to my stand an hour before daylight..hated..saw movement, a hunter walking through, then i see 2 cows and a baby squirrel that kept falling out of the tree and the mommy kept bringing it back up..it was the cutest thing....the bugs and heat were unreal, i couldn' t hang, had to leave around 4 :00 p.m., i did take a nap at the bottom of my stand thinking that would help, but it didn' t....i sat there for for a couple more hours and left...it was just too hot and i ran out of water around 12:30......

Sept. 26th fri.....could not wake up for the life of me, so i hit the woods late, was walking in around 7:30a.m. , i was about 1/4 of the way in and i hear blowin' , but it wasn' t moving, so i went to put my release on and realized it wasn' t on my wrist , it was in my back pack..my heart sunk, i had to take my back back off, take everything out, i was dying , i had to move slow, i got it, i then had to stalk up about 20 yards to catch up to it, still blowing, the wind wasn' t in my favor at all....but i stopped at an opening, it was a small window,but it' s all i needed, i thought i would make the shot....i hear it, i pull back ,for about a minute, bout couldn' t hold it any longer.... i' m ready,legs and bow are just a shaking, more and more as the time passed 17 yards, walking through the myrtles, i see it.. a hog, before now i didn' t know what it was , all it did was blow....i almost took the shot, but it wasn' t my window that i wanted, so i waited, there it was, facing away from me, barely turned, but there was that lil bit of ribs showing, so i aimed for the back ribs and i released....i hear a grunt and she turned and walked...i could hear the arrow hit, i was sure i got her... but her reaction and then after i made my phone calls, i decided to go look for the arrow...no arrow....i almost cried, thinking i wounded it, or missed all together, so i walked out and waited for it to expire....made more calls, lol....after talking to blair, i thought i' d never find my pig, he just said how tough it was to track and how he wouldn' t shoot one, blah blah blah....so i sat there and prayed, hands locked and in the air, i didn' t care who saw me... Toby(my bud) gets there and i tell him what happened , acted it out , had too
we go to looking, nothing, then i saw it , a drop of blood....life was almost complete, all i had to do now is track it, it was in the thickest nastiest stuff....couldn' t even stand up in it....well we kept tracking, toby is saying blood, blood, no blood, then one of us would find it and he' d kept saying blood, blood,then he said arrow, then it yelled PIG...he didn' t even see the pig , all he saw was arrow sticking out of it...kinda startled him, lol.... my life was now complete...only went between 65-75 yards got her to the check staion and i was straddling her with one leg for pigs and she made this noise , thought she was alive..i about died, everyone thought that was funny , lol....
she was pregnant, just a lil tough, i wouldn' t of killed her if i would of known, but like everyone told me, i' m there trying to remove the hogs, so i did good...i also found out that the shot i took is a high risk shot, but i didn' t know that , i thought that is why i practiced all those awkward angels...i won' t do that again....unless i have more of an angle on it....i was off on my shot by an inch or so to the left, ended up going through the back right leg, breaking it , through the lung , where it stayed......it was a good shot all in all...
went back to the house and showered, came back , got to my stand and there are ribbons all over my area, someone had set up 50 yards in front of me, even had the nerve to hang ribbons on the same tree as mine and on the tree right in front of my stand..i was hot.....mad hot that is.....there was no one there, i saw an armidillo to the left of me, about a minute after i saw it , there stands a doe..15 yards , then 10 yards, but i can' t move or i' m busted, so i froze...she froze and sniffed the air, got nervous and turned and trotted away....that would of been too cool, a hog and a doe all in the same day..but i was thrilled just seeing her there....it was about dark , so i went and took all the other ribbons that were within range of me and headed out....thought it was this guy i know playing some kind of revenge thing or just makng fun of me and my ribbons, because i mark a 20 yard circle around me, so i can judge quickly if need be....but it wasn' t....some guy that likes to steal others areas, that' s all.....

Sept. 27th.... sat.
got out in the woods, hunted the timbered area seeing that there were 4 trucks at the parking area i was at ....i knew whoever it was would be at my area that he hoarded in on, so i went to there...rained continually.....got temp. lost....finally made it to the beeline, but i didn' t want to walk all the way back so toby said he' d pick me up , lol....saw nothing, had an aweomse wind too, lol......went to the campsite across the street and had a beer with the guy who gave us the permits to hunt with ...nice guy....

sept.28th sun....
got out there late....still early though....didn' t want to go , i was tired, but i got motivated, got half way there to my stand and a hog spooked , but only ran a few feet...i was ready , i saw him..just couldn' t get him into the opening for a shot....so i went to my stand..ol' butthead is out there ...i left and decided to go home, cell phone dropped in the water...thought it was fried but it came back to life .....
had an awesome weekend...

less than 10 deer and 5 hogs taken this weekend....will have pics up soon
Old 09-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: my first bow kill...long read

Great and in dept story Ma. Congrats on the hog, sounds like you learned some things also. Man I don' t know how y' all hunt in that heat down there.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i tell you what , hunting in florida during archery is the hardest hunting, it' s miserable..nothing wants to move, you are every bugs top priority....but it' s better than hunting in the cold....these old bones don' t like it..... here is my hog.....

122lb. sow...
Old 09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats ma, but your pictures are lil red x' s.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are working for some and not for others..try right clicking and hit open pic...that might work , if not here , try clicking on these...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...9/Mvc-010f.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...9/Mvc-005f.jpg
Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats , your sister said you had killed a nice pig on the other board
Old 09-28-2003, 08:09 PM

Congrats. Pics still wont load.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Spike

nice story. good luck rest of the season
Old 09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Access Denied (Usage Limit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The owner of this file has exceeded their daily usage limit.

thats what i get when i click the links [:' (]
Old 09-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

she was pregnant, just a lil tough
I figured a outdoors gal like you would know there' s NO SUCH THING. Either you are or you aren' t.[8D] Not worrying about the pig as much as I am you. I don' t want you to find yourself in a position of .... wellll ... you know.

So, great hunt there Huntma. It was only a matter of time. Now we won' t have to listen to that " Whinney Butt" (that' s what she calls everyone) sister tellin' how she' s killed and you haven' t.[:-] Congrats on the Oink. You go girl.

Quick Reply: my first bow kill...long read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.