Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New York Report

Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default New York Report

Well I was out yesterday for the morning and evening hunt. The wind was a little more than 15 mph in the evening and had the deer down on the bellies where I was. Yesterday morning I saw 9 deer, all of which were does. I only saw one deer out of the stand and it came running in to stop under the nut tree for a small snack for about 5 mintues. On the way out blew out a deer near the end of the trail. Funny part, was when I was at my truck I heard some deer running and ended up just in front of the front bumper was mama and 2 fawns.

This morning it was pretty interesting. Saw a total of 11 deer, of which 3 were bucks. Had a 6 point and a 5 point within 10 yards. Gave ample opportunity for a shot, but holding out for something bigger. They were both doggin' a doe, but not hard. It was neat watching the two bucks establish who was boss. The 6 point upon seeing the 5, grunted twice and started walking at the 5 point. He only moved about 5 yards, turned and continued after the doe which was walking off towards the bottom.

So seeing 21 deer out of the stand and being that 3 of them were bucks, I would say was a good start to the NY season.

So, how is everyone else making out ? Seeing any chasing ?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New York Report

Sounds like your having a great start. I saw 1 yesterday morning and 1 this morning, thats it. The one yesterday was to early to shoot and wouldn't have been able to anyway, it saw me before I saw it. The one this morning was 100 yards away on a ridge and never came down to play. Hopefully tonight will get better, HOPE!!!! anyway.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted two different spots yesterday.I saw nothing in both sit's.My hunting partner who in each instance was a few hundred yards away saw 6 doe's and 1 4 pointer in the morning and 5 doe's in the afternoon.
This morning I saw a spike horn anda 6 pointer and 1 deer I could not identify.I have seen no chasing activity.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear that you guys are seeing some deer. I will coming to NY in about a month. I am going to bowhunt for a few days then hunt a couple days of the gun season. I think that NY is one the best states that I hunt. I have had very good success there in the past. I have been hunting there for about 4 years now. I have been able to take a nice point and a real nice 8 point. My father in law took a huge 9 point three years ago. It had a 221/4" inside spread. He also took a huge 11 point the following year. It was aged at 6 1/2 years of age. Good luck to you all and please let a few for me to see!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM

i saw one doe yesterday morning and i went back out yesterday after noon and had a BIG buck walk 23 yards from my stand...i shot....then i heard my arrow hit the tree behind him !!! [:@]....i walked over to where he was and it hit a little branch and flew into a tree !!!...but it didnt hit the buck at all so he is okay still
Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Saw nothing yesterday (except the doe that ran out in fron of me driving home) and zip this morning. Hopefully tonight will be better.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure hope it starts to pick up. I don't like just watching the squirrel's play grab ass. Saw 1 unidentified deer yesterday morning, and 1 doe this morning, nothing I could get a shot at, to far away. Going back out here in a few minutes, so lets hope.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well struck out again tonight. The only thing I saw was a grouse, and couldn't get a shot at it, to many little saplings in the way.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Well tonight I saw nothing...first from the stand. However I seem to be a little to far back in (by 200 yards) as both nights I blew out some deer when leaving. I think next Saturday I am going to set a stand there and hunt that in the evening. The stand I have been hunting seems to be more of a morning stand.

My hunting partner who hunted yesterday and this evening with me, saw 5 year 2 of which were bucks. This is the first year we got to hunt this property and between us both we saw 52 deer, 9 bucks and one 16in 8 point that he passed on !!!

I have another stand in the back, but plan on leaving that alone till after Halloween. We plan to make two more sets next weekend.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this somewhere else but ill put it here also...

Hey guys, well i was only able to hunt saturday because everyone around me got sick. My only action was Sat. morning,8 o clock i saw a spike (cant shoot pilot restriction) than 9 o clock i saw a 4 pointer 10 yards out infront of me( cant shoot)...
Than 9:05 i had a flock of 30 turkey marching right under my stand to go in the feild. after not being able to move for 15 minz,i slowly started to inch up, they spooked but i was able to get a 30 yard shot off on a perfect eating size hen, She was instantly dead....
This was my first ever bow kill and my first ever turkey, Im so happy!!! (boy did she taste good)
and hope i can arrow my first buck or even doe next weekend!

Sat night just a cupple does running in the feild thats it.

No big bucks seen, so i blame the moon...

Quick Reply: New York Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.