Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another fatality >

Another fatality

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another fatality

Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Another fatality

I know. Some of you have said "enough already" to the safety harness talk. But if one hunter on the site is safer because of a harness, then I can live with the complaints.

Dentist Nonnemann died in hunting accident
[*]Story[*]Discussion[/ul]

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
By Barb Ickes | Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:37 PM CDT | (
tp_bulkViewer.add("itemnumcomments","id=48f4c9d427 94b311283303");

5[/align]) comments
[/align][/align]A hunting accident claimed the life last week of a longtime Rock Island dentist.

The body of Philip Nonnemann, 60, was found Thursday on land owned by his family in rural Rock Island. He had fallen from a deer stand where he was hunting with a bow and arrow, said Capt. Greg Hunter of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

He said that a member of Nonnemann’s family asked police to conduct a welfare check on the land after the dentist missed his first appointment Oct. 9. The missing-person report was filed around 10 a.m., Hunter said, and the body was found at 11:25 a.m.

Investigators and Rock Island County’s Coroner-elect Brian Gustafson said Nonnemann died as a result of injuries he sustained in the fall of about 15 feet. His bow and arrow and two cell phones were still in the tree stand, Hunter said.

“He was staying on the grounds overnight, hunting early in the morning,” he said. “He wasn’t done hunting for the day or night or whatever. He was moving around, evidently, and he fell.

“He was enjoying some deer hunting and, unfortunately, it ended in tragedy.”

Gustafson said there would not be an autopsy and said a coroner’s jury will be asked to rule on the cause of death at a November inquest. The death currently is categorized accidental.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another fatality

So sad. That's why there's NO EXCUSE for not wearing a harness. And some say 15 feet isn't high enough to kill you. 5 feet is high enough if you land wrong.

Be careful out there guys.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM

wow that is real close to me. I feel sorry for his family. I never climb in a stand without my harness

when I say that is close to me I live in the county just south of there (Mercer)
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another good point being made here ,don't pack your phone in your day pack put it in your pocket.
In this case we don't know if it would of made a difference but if your phone is still in the tree while your laying on the ground it can't be used to call for help.

Some times dying while doing what you love to do is not a good thing.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sobering article. I hate reading this kind of thing. Be careful out there guys...

Shane