Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need little more help... pleez >

need little more help... pleez

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need little more help... pleez

Old 03-23-2003, 08:10 PM

Default need little more help... pleez

i know that there have been several questions about sight pins about positioning and numbers of 3 vs. 1, infact i think that i initiated some of those. however, i have a new bow now. yeah! i am shooting beman 400' s out of a hoyt magnatec at about 250 fps. now i am not a big " must have speed" kind of guy but i am not used to shooting a bow with this typed of speed. i posted a question on the tech page about my pins being at the very top of my site. i have sinced moved my site up and my pins down but they are still kindof high for my comfortability. i mean i can come pretty close to hitting a nickel at 10 yards but that is not saying a whole lot. is my bow shooting fast enough to go with the one pin setup. if it is then what are some suggested distances to set it at? ( 17yrd, 20yrds,23,ect..)??
thanks for the help--- i promis no more pin questions --- ha ha ha
Old 03-23-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-24-2003, 08:17 PM

Default RE: need little more help... pleez

I shoot with 5 pins.......20,30,40,50 & 60 yards......Most of the deer I get to shoot at are from 10 to 25 yards and therefore could probabably get by with " Two" , my 20 & 30 yard pins.........But due to sometimes shooting at a 3 yard and 5 yard target, I have to use my 40 and 30 yard pin respectivly.....So with this light shed, the minimum number of pins I would try is " Three" , my 20,30 and 40 yard pins..

.....A 3 Yard target requires the use of my 40 yard pin........
.....A 5 Yard target requires the use of my 30 yard pin........
.....A 10 yard target requires the use of my 20 yard pin (shoots 2" high)
.....A 20 yard target requires my 20 yard pin and shoots dead on
.....A 30 yard target requires my 30 yard pin.......
......I don' t feel comfortable trying a shot at a deer past 30 yards!!!!!!!!!

Hope I' ve not confused you!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

A one pin setup is fine for a bow shooting 250fps if your going to limit your hunting range to twenty yards and under. Just sight in at twenty yards and you' ll be dead on from 0-20 .
Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds to me like you may have a little different anchor position than most of us. Whatever works. But, all these sights are moveable. At 250 I' d say go with at least 2 pins. I prefer precise aiming points. I know a lot of people use one pin, but there' s nothing like not having to aim over or low. At 250 fps you would have to have a lot of hold off to be on target. My goal is to hit a particular hair or spot, not be in the area. Then, the only hold off I may have is for the nervous state of the deer.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:33 PM

It' s funny you should say that W.Dale.

My first 3D shoot was last weekend. The last target , a beaver, was 6 ft. away. I was first up to shoot.

All the xperienced 3D' ers in my group kept saying 40 yard pin. Since it was my first time, they gave me much needed advice the whole coarse.

I couldn' t bring myself to use my 40 pin as I didn' t even have one set at 40 yards. 30 was my bottom pin. I kept thinking, NO WAY the 30 pin, can' t be. So I shot my top pin, or my 10 yard pin and nailed the X-ring. Blocked it totally with my huge aluminum arrows and humongous fletchings. No one else hit the x-ring. They were all high.

I just find it funny. What is the reasoning behind using the 40 yard pin for a very close shot??? Does nock point have anything to do with close flight?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just find it funny. What is the reasoning behind using the 40 yard pin for a very close shot??? Does nock point have anything to do with close flight?

Their reasoning was to laugh their arses off if you fell for their advice!
Old 03-26-2003, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with the others. With a 250 fps speed I would suggest either using two pins...one for 20 and one for 30 or going with one pin out to about 25 yards (with the one pin set at 20). I would feel somewhat more comfortable with a speed in the 275-285 fps range if you are looking for something to do 0-30 yards with just one pin.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:16 AM

thanks fellas for the input but i think that i will go with the typical 10-20-30 yard set up. i don' t really have a good reason to change