Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow fell apart in the stand tonight >

Bow fell apart in the stand tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow fell apart in the stand tonight

Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow fell apart in the stand tonight

I arrived at the stand around 4 and just sat nodding on and off for a while. around 5 I decided to pick my bow up and just practice like I was going to take a shot, checking my brush to make sure I was all clear. I started to pull it back just to stretch my arms and warm up abit and then PLUNK. Nothing snapped but somehow my cables slipped off the cam. I have no idea how to put it back on, nor do I have the tools.

My question is why would this happen. I shoot a PSE team Fitzgerald at 60#s I have practiced shooting in the last few days and had no problems. It's not the greatest bow but I got it for my birthday in 2001 and never bowhunted before. My goal was to take 5 deer with it before I got a better one. Didn't know if I would get into bowhunting and fell in love with it. I shoot it pretty well. I have one nice 9 pointer under my belt so far and a few misses. Anyway the plastic coating over the cable is worn away in a few spots. Should I have the cable replaced? Is this going to take a long time to get fixed? Will It change my shot placements if I have a new cable. I should mention, I just upped my poundage from 51 to 60 about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't having any problems until I sat in my stand tonight. Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow fell apart in the stand tonight

Take it to a pro shop. there is nothing you are going to be able do to safely inspect, and fix it. regardless of what cable it is it should be looked at by an expert.
Derek
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

You may have unknowingly gotten a chunk of bark, dirt, rock, stick etc. stuck between the string and cam and when you pulled it back it derailed it. Take it to a shop with a press and have it inspected and replaced if needed. Check the cams to make sure they aren't cracked or broken as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you happen to attach your hoist rope to your string directly?

It's rare but I have heard of people pulling the string partially off the cam track pulling a bow up by the string......I imagine a gound wheel type bow like your Team Fitzgerald would be even easier to dislodge a bit.
Or you got something wedged in the system.
I would also have the shop guy make sure your string is tracking true at rest and full draw.

Then when you get in your stand you draw back a couple times on weird angles checking clearance and probably with gloves, headnet etc on you put more otrque on your grip and riser and can actually just pull the string off sideways.

Maybe a combo of the 2?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What likely happened is that you had some sort of debris or object wedged between your cable and the spot it means your cam track. I know a few guys who have caught a piece of their britches or their 3D leafy cammo in their strings and had them jump. It was probably a stick or piece of a vine or something that got caught in there while you were walking to your stand.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

that is very possible, actually now that you mention it, I am guessing that my vibration dampers strapped around the limbs may have slipped up too far and wedged in the cable. I will have to make sure that doesn't happen. Is this a pretty easy fix? I don't want to be sitting without a bow when the rut starts.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: earnabuck

that is very possible, actually now that you mention it, I am guessing that my vibration dampers strapped around the limbs may have slipped up too far and wedged in the cable. I will have to make sure that doesn't happen. Is this a pretty easy fix? I don't want to be sitting without a bow when the rut starts.

Yes, if you have the tools and the know how its a very easy fix. Hopefully, because you didn't actually dry fire the bow, the string and cable will be in good shape. You might have to get a string reserved, or at worse a new string.... but at a good pro shop, its basically a wait an hour or two and go, or drop it off PM and pick it up AM type deal if its a new string or a reserve. If the string is in ok shape... its a $5-$10 press charge and ten minutes to check everything over.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: earnabuck

Yes, if you have the tools and the know how its a very easy fix. Hopefully, because you didn't actually dry fire the bow, the string and cable will be in good shape. You might have to get a string reserved, or at worse a new string.... but at a good pro shop, its basically a wait an hour or two and go, or drop it off PM and pick it up AM type deal if its a new string or a reserve. If the string is in ok shape... its a $5-$10 press charge and ten minutes to check everything over.
Yes, I didn't get it pulled back very far at all when it popped, in fact my arrow was still knocked in the string when it happened. I do see some bare cable but I don't know if that is a big deal or not. Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize a cable can pop of that easy if you aren't paying attention. At least I wasn't shooting a nice deer.