Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Giving Props again.... >

Giving Props again....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Giving Props again....

Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Giving Props again....

Every so often I come on and give props to certain things, people, or ideas...well, for the 3rd time I have to give props to the traditional archers.... even those who are braving it for the first time this year...you guys are awesome... Schultzy and several others on here are in a league of their own. that goes without saying. But for the guys trying it this year, you got big ones boys!! go for it. and good luck, hell, I think I may try my hand at it next year!!!! PROPS !!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Giving Props again....

Very Classy Va!

Good call on the props to the Trad Shooters. They are a whole 'nother breed of archer! I hope to join their ranks this spring!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Prop Job VA! Kuddo's for bringing different people to the forefront!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

You know the funny thing is...I learned to shoot with a longbow and then had a recurve, but when I turned 13 I got a compound and never looked back...I wish i would have stuck with it... These guys have always amazed me. actually I was a pretty good shot out 20 yds with the recurve, it's a lost art to me now, I couldn't hit a the broadside of barn with one now...but I think Im going to buy one this winter and start shooting it...inspired by Schultzy...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know if I qualify as a "traditional arher" or not.....but I'll tell you this if you're thinking about it.

It's an UNBELIEVABLY cool feeling just to go afield with a trad bow. It's kinda indescribable.....but it feels very "old school". I took mine out yesterday for the second time this season. I haven't seen a deer from stand with it, yet, though.

It's also a little unnerving.....KNOWING you're limiting yourself to (_____)yd shots or less. It's a big leap of faith.

I still think back to Matt/PA's post last year when he says he was saying to himself.....walking to stand the first time...."So you're REALLY gonna do this". I know exactly how he felt, then. It's cool, though.....and I hope to have success, this year. If not.....I'll keep at it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Well Jeff it's sort of my roots.. I started with a longbow that my father brought home from his gym class he taught and then I shot it all summer one year and then got a Bear recurve and shot that for 2 yrs... then was pulled into the compound world and was amazed at the speed of the arrow, of course that was almost 2 decades ago and what was fast then is not fast now.... but I am sure it is a very sobering feeling to walk into the woods with a traditional bow.... I took my recurve hunting one year back when I was 13 and I never saw anything, nor did I know what I was doing and I sure as hell did not have a clue as to the feeling I should have experienced... now at 33 yrs old, Im sure I will appreciate it much more..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Vab, your too kind! It's an awesome feeling that no one here will ever have a clue even on until you give It a try. It's not for everyone, but It's there for the folks who want to give it a go. I've been shooting Traditional bows for 30 years and hunting with them for 14 years now. I know a good amount about them and there set ups but damn there are some great guys with tons of knowledge In the Traditional forum that have really helped me with small little form Issues that I completely forgot about. I was forgetting the basics, Art, Burnie, Bob set me straight again. I give props to them guys on helping me out. Bigcountry had some good Info as well.

Don't be afraid to give this style of hunting a try. It's an awesome feeling everyone, specially when you let that arrow fly and It goes exactly where you Intended It to go on the animal. I've shot a good share of deer and bear with my trusty old recurve, each expierence still Is just as exciting as the very 1st one was. I could never say that when I was using my compound. The excitement was still there but not like It Is now. I practice more now then I did when I shot compound. I don't practice because I need to. I practice more because I enjoy It more and Its fun.

Run on over to the Traditional forum and ask some questions If your looking for some answers. I can almost promise you that you will find out what your looking for. They are the best knowledged guys I've ever seen any where.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, I'm in Jeff's shoes too. Haven't dove completely in head first. Still wading around the shallow end. I haven't taken the longbow out as much as anticipated this year, my time over all has been limited, & I'm wanting to down a few does first, before commiting more to the trad thing. Last season I took it out much more often.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot to add, good luck to all of you taking out the Traditional bows for the 1st time!!!