Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 % of hunters not using a harness >

% of hunters not using a harness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of hunters not using a harness

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: % of hunters not using a harness

Most of my buddies that are hardcore hunters (ages 21-27) do not use a safety harness. And what bothers me even more is that family and friends who have young children typically don't use them either! I've a few marginal instances where I was a little scared...with and without a harness...and every time I go up in a stand I'm cautious...but things do happen! My life is too valuable to myself, family, and friends to let a minor inconvenience (if you can call it that) keep me from being safe.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

I know ALOT of people that hunt in my small town, but can only think of 2 that use a harness...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm simply amazed by some of you guys who don't wear a harness. Wow! I really don't know what to say. Shultzy,I know you have a little girl that counts on you to come home from every hunt. That alone should make you wear one. Come on guys!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Banned

I rarely use one. Overweight, out of shape, poor eating habits, smoking, chewing, drinking .... even driving to the your deer hunting place are all vastly more dangerous IMO.

Of the % that have tree stand hunting accents how many really DO fall out? Most are climibing in and out, right, where the harness won't help anyways.

I realize there is value in using them, I have a nice one .... I just don't use them often
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of the % that have tree stand hunting accents how many really DO fall out? Most are climibing in and out, right, where the harness won't help anyways
Use an ascender rope with a sliding prussic knot and you can be hooked up from bottom to top to bottom.

Steve
Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use one, unless I have a sturdy rail around me (when I gun hunt).
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone thats huntingonany of the properties Ihave has to havea harness on, or they cant hunt. Its one ofa few rules that apply and not open for discussion.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Spike

I never did until 5 or 6 years ago. I know 2 guys who fell in the same year. 1st when the top step of his homemade stand broke, he fell 20 feet broke his hip, ribs and collarbone. He crawled out of the woods in shock and was able to call for help.
The 2nd wasn't as lucky, don't know how it happened but my friend Carl found him under his stand after he didn't come back to the truck at dark. His head was split wide open after landing on thr frozen ground. Mid 30s married with 2 young kids.

My ladder stand has a rail, but when I'm in my climber I'll always be wearing my vest harness.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Anyone thats huntingonany of the properties Ihave has to havea harness on, or they cant hunt. Its one ofa few rules that apply and not open for discussion.
I'm with Andy on this ,if you are hunting with me your wearing a harness period.
I'm not going to be the one to tell your family why you died while hunting with me.
Some of you need to look your wife & kids in the eyes and rethink this one.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Spike

I promised my wife and chilodren before my first hunt that I would always where one. It is such a simple thing. Unfortunately, this thread gives new meaning to "thinning the herd!"

Quick Reply: % of hunters not using a harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.