Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 % of hunters not using a harness >

% of hunters not using a harness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of hunters not using a harness

Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: % of hunters not using a harness

I don't feel comfortable in a stand unless I'm hooked up. I'm not afraid of heights, just falling. Having a harness on is like havingcarinsurance, sucks to pay for it but better have it when that accident happens...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

You know I am getting a pretty good laugh at this thread. I have already stated that I don't wear a harness. I have also read the comments about "thinning the herd" or just plain calling anyone that does not wear one an "idiot"....Well how should I put this...I'm 42 years old, married, 3 kids, 1 grand kid, a college degree from a major university, I'm a computer programmer, home owner, land owner, an IQ last measured at 142(although I do my best to hide it)....well you get the picture. I don't really think I fit the description of an idiot. I really think I am less likely to die from falling out of a tree then many on here are from a heart attack, stroke, cancer, or drunk driving. What I am saying is we all make decisions that will affect out life expectancy. For the most part I think I have made the right choices. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 150 pounds. I walk at least 4 times a week and at least 3 miles each time. I also work out on my bow flex at least that often. I eat well and normally get 8 hours of sleep a night, I don't smoke and I don't drink. Now I personally think that being overweight, smoking, drinking, poor diet, etc.... will lead to an early grave long before not using an harness, but did I get on here and pass judgment on everyone else. Hell no. If you want to drink go ahead, if you want to smoke then light up and the flip side of this freedom of choice is I won't be using a harness. Its all about glass houses boys....

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TX_Hoghunter

You know I am getting a pretty good laugh at this thread. I have already stated that I don't wear a harness. I have also read the comments about "thinning the herd" or just plain calling anyone that does not wear one an "idiot"....Well how should I put this...I'm 42 years old, married, 3 kids, 1 grand kid, a college degree from a major university, I'm a computer programmer, home owner, land owner, an IQ last measured at 142(although I do my best to hide it)....well you get the picture. I don't really think I fit the description of an idiot. I really think I am less likely to die from falling out of a tree then many on here are from a heart attack, stroke, cancer, or drunk driving. What I am saying is we all make decisions that will affect out life expectancy. For the most part I think I have made the right choices. I am 5 foot 6 and weigh 150 pounds. I walk at least 4 times a week and at least 3 miles each time. I also work out on my bow flex at least that often. I eat well and normally get 8 hours of sleep a night, I don't smoke and I don't drink. Now I personally think that being overweight, smoking, drinking, poor diet, etc.... will lead to an early grave long before not using an harness, but did I get on here and pass judgment on everyone else. Hell no. If you want to drink go ahead, if you want to smoke then light up and the flip side of this freedom of choice is I won't be using a harness. Its all about glass houses boys....

-john

Easy there cowboy! Don't get offended because others are practicing their freedom of speech rights. If the "idiot" term pi**ed you off, maybe the shoe fits a little to comfortably!

I personally feelits important that we try and encourage others to make intelligent safety decisions because in my line of work, I am put in the position daily of trying to save the life of those who give a rats arse about being safe. Sorry, hits a little close to home for me. Put all that intelligence you supposedly have to work for you and wear a safety harness. Your family will thank you for it!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Not offended ...amused. If someone expresses their opinion and you agree with it then they are just expressing the right to free speech, but If I offer up an opinion contrary to yours then I apparently get offended easily....glass houses boys, glass houses...

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

This is pretty shocking to me as well. I guess I figured thatalmost everyone would be wearing one these days. I put mine on before leaving the truck, but a couple of times have forgotten to put the strap around the tree before starting my climb and once I realized what I had done it bothered me. Like someone else said, I'm not afraid of the height, but that fall and resulting injury scare the heck out of me. I love my sport and my family too much to take that chance.

It is about choices though and to each their own. Makes me wonder if you guys would wear one if it were the law...a condition of getting your hunting permit. What about, as Andy pointed out, a condition of the land owner where you hunt or of the state where your public land is? Sure, you may not get caught or called out on it, but would you wear it? In that vein, if automobile seatbelts were "optional" would you still wear them?

If there is anyone not using one due to $$$ concerns, but would like one, PM me your address and I'll mail you a brand new one.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:59 PM

-john
Read my new thread...all it takes is once...You could run 3 marathons a week and still not be immune to slipping and fallin 20 ft up.

It isn't about you, nor all your macho qualifications for not wearing a harness, its about how devastated it would leave your kids, wife, family, and friends after you die from such an accident that is easily preventable, by simply wearing a harness.

Sure people can die from drunk drivers just the same as falling from a treestand, point taken....but would you tempt fate by getting into the car with that hammered driver?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing macho about it. I simply believe that individuals should have the freedom to make their own decisions. Just like riding motorcycles. Personally I hate them and would not be caught dead on one, but if someone wants to ride them then great. If they want to ride without a helmet. Then that is also great. Its their choice. I simple hate it when other people try to push their personal opinion and everyone else.

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM

I'm 42 years old, married, 3 kids, 1 grand kid, a college degree from a major university, I'm a computer programmer, home owner, land owner, an IQ last measured at 142(although I do my best to hide it)....well you get the picture.
Then why list out all the things that make you great....

I agree it is a personal choice to wear it or not, but WHY not? All I am asking, it seems like you don't want to wear one, simply because other people think you should (could be way off here, admittedly). Why risk jeopardizing your entire families future?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I listed what I did to offset the idiot statement and the thinning of the herd statement.

You know what you are beginning to convince me. I think we need to look at all of the risky behaviors that we do and outlaw them all....Of course I am more likely to die driving home tonight then from falling out of a tree, so cars/trucks would have to go first. And of course alcohol is far more likely to cause problems so welcome back prohibition. Oh and fast food that stuff is really bad for you so lets shut them all down. Man I almost forgot motorcycles.. .gone illegal to own now.

See my point yet? We all do far more dangerous things everyday then go up a tree without a harness.

Now back to my original point. The individual that started this thread was simply trying to get a guess as to what percentage of people wear harnesses. He did not ask for opinions. If you want to wear one then great. That is your choice. If I don't want to wear one then that is also my choice. Why can't people just leave it at that?

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Since when is it legality the issue?

You still havent answered my question, just skirting it with other scenarios...Why NOT wear one?

Why risk putting your family through that trauma?

Just trying to understand it. its not like you aren't still hunting, you just dont have the chance of falling and becoming a vegetable or worse this way.

Your right though, it is YOUR decision...just asking why you made that decision is all.

Quick Reply: % of hunters not using a harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.