Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 % of hunters not using a harness >

% of hunters not using a harness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of hunters not using a harness

Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: % of hunters not using a harness

i wear the harness that came with my summit climber an its easy to put on an i dont even know its there.. now i admit i dont wear one in my climber but i wont go in a lock on without one... i jus started to use the hss life line this year.... very very nice ... i only have one right now..but when im climbingup the steps tothat stand i feel so much better than climbing up toa stand with out the lifeline...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate to admit it, but I dont use a harness either. I dont like heights, so I hunt out of ladder stands, but I only use enough of the ladder sections to get me about 9 feet off the ground. I know that this is no excuse, but I wont use one of the cheaper ones that you have to have pictures to figure out how to put it on. When I do get one, I want to get one of the vest style ones. But right now funds wont allow it.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wont hunt out of a stand without my safety system but thats just me
Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

in the 5 tree stands i hunt in i use one in 3 of them, i usually try to but one of them is only about 10 ft high and the other theres no where i could attach one to the tree and not have it get in the way.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM

I have one of them crappy ones they have to give away with every treestand sold so no thankyou on your most generous offer. Really it seems that more then half the people on here dont wear 1? I really cant see falling out of a tree either, the stand breaking mabey but, still if the stand breaks then your stuck in the tree 20 feet dangaline? Seems more dangerous to me.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM

I use a harness 100% of the time, but when you see my the height of my treestands you'd understand why.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys it's really not that hard to strap on a vest. I mean how do you even feel secure without one. I hope you don't become a statistic. Schultzy sure hope you get the feeling back below your neck. Cmon I don't want to be saying that. At least do it for those that love you. Besides cool people where proper equipment.[8D]
Old 10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW I can't believe the amount of people here that don't use them . Well seasoned hunters as well .You never know when you might slip or have equipment failure. I have seen to many videos of people that didn't wear one and the results of them falling . Scared me into wearing one all the time
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tribal

Guys it's really not that hard to strap on a vest. I mean how do you even feel secure without one. I hope you don't become a statistic. Schultzy sure hope you get the feeling back below your neck. Cmon I don't want to be saying that. At least do it for those that love you. Besides cool people where proper equipment.[8D]
I couldn't agree more Ron. It's laziness, and I'm 100% guilty of it![>:] It's In the process. I gotta figure out which one I should get though, I know nothing about them.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive only used a treestand 1 time without a harness while bowhunting...it was out of my buddies treelounge he had setup as a lock on....my tie off rope was too short...i didnt like it....i did kill my first bowkill that day

ive noticed THIS season i got lazy and only use it going up about half the time in my climber...gotta get back to using it going up EVERY time...dont know why i quit using it going up once in a while...

next year, maybe Christmas, im getting myself a good HSS vest or something similar...the standard summit one is fine...but id like a nicer one...something that cant get tangled into a mess...

never had a trouble shooting or manuevering with the harness on...i tie off and slid the tether up the tree as far as i can reach while standing...that does a couple things...get it outta the way...keeps it almost tight when i sit down...minimizes the distance till i "hit the end of the rope" if i do fall, and keeps slack to a minimum to keep it outta the way....also screw in my hanger below it so it cannot slip at all if i were to fall....

i never wanna hit the end of that rope...but if i do, i'll be glad i hit the end of the rope, not the ground....i know a couple local guys that are in bad shape and/or paralyzed from falls...most cannot get into a treestand (even the ones that werent paralyzed)

put the harness on at the truck...all the extra you gotta carry is the tie off rope....really its simple and easy....

part of the reason i quit using my lock ons because i cant leave a rope hanging from them to tie off to, and had no other way to tie off going up and coming down....falls are likely to happen while ascending or descending...thats when i REALLY want to be tied off...need to get back in that routine for here on out...only been a few times i wasnt tied off going up for some odd reason...must been tired..but i realized it when i hit the tope of my stand...

Quick Reply: % of hunters not using a harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.