Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost her!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lost her!

Well I have officially lost my first bow deer. I think I may have hit her in the shoulder blade with my shot. There was no arrow still cant find it after looking several times. Then we found a little drop of blood about 60 yrds from the shot. Then there was a drop here and there for about 15 yrds but after that the blood just stopped. We did a body search and even looked for blood in every possible direction but found nothing. It truly has been a hard thing to deal with and not noing if she will live or if hse is dead and with it being a low of 69 last night she is well wasted by now. It truley sucks and i hope no one has to experiance this kind of luck when hunting.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost her!

I did the same thing earlier this year. hit the shoulder blade and had very little blood. I had given up and was on my way to the car when I found her. it's a very difficult thing to deal with, more difficult then someone that's never been through it would think.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

If you hunt long enough, it will happen. (as most ofuswill agree)
sorry yatesm! Better luck next time & good luck w/ the rest of the season!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why do people feel the need to broadcast these events to the entire world? [&:]
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

rybo--because it makes them feel better to talk amongst friends, to live and learn from the event, and from the knowledge gained from others who have experienced the same thing.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Why do people feel the need to broadcast these events to the entire world? [&:]
Im thinking he is feeling bad and just want some people to tell him it is OK and it happens to us all. If you put in all the effort you could in finding the deer and you can honestly tell yourself you did everything you could, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Everyone looses a deer, hopefully it will be the last one you loose. You just hope that the injury isn't to severe and she can make it. Good luck on your next one, Im sure it will be a perfect shot!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember shooting a doe through her shoulder blade last year in real thick country. She walked off bleeding. Then a buck came through and began to chase her during the tail end of the rut. She went flying. I got down an hour later, looked with my buddy for nearly 2 hours, running out of a blood trail after 120 yards or so. We came back later that afternoon and looked again. Then as I drove away from his house at 7pm, I began to feel bad and told him I am going back again...he said, "after dark and by yourself?" I told him yes and he said you are crazy. I went out with my headlight and looked for the next 2-3 hours, crawling through the dang gone thicket, cutting myself into a million pieces. I picked up a small blood trail again, but it died and I could not find anything. Then my headlight died. There was NO moon out and I was out in unfamiliar territory. I looked down at my watch and it was after 10pm~~! Luckily I saw a light from a barn from another property. I walked in the complete blackness getting blasted my limbs until I finally came out onto the dirt road and eventually found my truck. I never did find that doe and I believe in my heart I looked until I was physially exhausted. I believe that chasing buck pushed her fast and far in a hurry and that is why I could not find her...blood drops every 20-30 yards makes for a very difficult tracking job.