HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lost her!
Thread: Lost her!
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
virginiashadow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost her!

I remember shooting a doe through her shoulder blade last year in real thick country. She walked off bleeding. Then a buck came through and began to chase her during the tail end of the rut. She went flying. I got down an hour later, looked with my buddy for nearly 2 hours, running out of a blood trail after 120 yards or so. We came back later that afternoon and looked again. Then as I drove away from his house at 7pm, I began to feel bad and told him I am going back again...he said, "after dark and by yourself?" I told him yes and he said you are crazy. I went out with my headlight and looked for the next 2-3 hours, crawling through the dang gone thicket, cutting myself into a million pieces. I picked up a small blood trail again, but it died and I could not find anything. Then my headlight died. There was NO moon out and I was out in unfamiliar territory. I looked down at my watch and it was after 10pm~~! Luckily I saw a light from a barn from another property. I walked in the complete blackness getting blasted my limbs until I finally came out onto the dirt road and eventually found my truck. I never did find that doe and I believe in my heart I looked until I was physially exhausted. I believe that chasing buck pushed her fast and far in a hurry and that is why I could not find her...blood drops every 20-30 yards makes for a very difficult tracking job.