Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I got taken to TRAD school this morning.... >

I got taken to TRAD school this morning....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got taken to TRAD school this morning....

Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I got taken to TRAD school this morning....

Went on my first hunt with my longbow this morning. Talk about a perfect morning. I walked all the way in with my red light on, and walked right up on a huge o'possum. I mean I almost stepped on him. I don't know who was scared more, because it scared the crap out of me! Anyway, I got on the stand an hour before first light, andaround 10 minutesbefore it was light enough tosee well enough to shoot,a deer walked right past me about 20 yards away. Then, 5 minutes later, a string of five deer walked almost right under me. I could see them but there still wasn't enough light to see what I would be shooting at, so they got to walk naturally.

A half hour later, here come three does from the other direction, but they stayed 30 yards out in the thick stuff. The lead doe spotted me, looked me over, and I mean GOOD, but didn't spook. (First time I've ever been spotted in the ASAT 3D suit). They wandered off, but 30 minutes later, what I assume was the same group of three came back up the hill right under me. Okay, it's showtime. I couldn't get the bow into position in time for the lead doe, but the second one I was ready for. Okay, 15 yards away... I glance (moving my eyes only) to the right and then the left to make sure the lead doe and the one in the rear aren't looking..... target doe's head is down... I lean forward, lean to the right, cant the bow, draw, anchor, aim and release........... and watch the arrow sail just over the does back.[:@][:@]
IFREAKIN' MISSED!

The doe jumped a little and stomped at nothingsince she didn't know what that sound was that hit the ground behind her. Then she continued on her way. Mean while, I'm cussing myself and slooowwwlllly getting myback-up arrow off the clip and nocking it. That doe made it across, and I was ready for the third. She trotted across the lane and stopped about 8 yards from the bottom of my tree. I lean forward, draw, anchor, aim and release. This time, I had totally lost my concentration on my form. The string slapped my armguard and made quite a bit of noise in the 3D material. I got a sense of deja-vu as, once again, I watch the arrow sail over her back and into the dirt.HOLY CRAP, I DID IT AGAIN! It was like watching an instant replay. She jumped, looked around, stopped once and kept walking. I missed twice and they never knew I was there.

I also saw two bucks this morning. A fork horn and a young 6 point, but they stayed too far out for a shot. It's not like they were in any danger from me anyway this morning.[&o]

All in all, I had a great morning. I saw deer, got two shots, saw two bucks, and also saw what I THINK was a hedgehog. (Ugly critter!)
Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I got taken to TRAD school this morning....

well just learn from your mistakes man everyone misses dont worry about it. you will get a deer just keep hunting hard
Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good story Chief! Welcome to bow hunting with longbows and recurves buddy!! It's tough hunting but you'll get it figured out. Get the 1st few out of the way and all of a sudden It clicks.

Good luck Chief!!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I've never shot a long bow, but I am sure I would make some big mistakes with it also. I know I have with a compound. Sounds like you had a real interesting morning anyway. Good luck next time.
Chris