Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thoughts on tonights sit? Map included. >

Thoughts on tonights sit? Map included.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thoughts on tonights sit? Map included.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thoughts on tonights sit? Map included.

Well it looks like we will ahve a NNW wind tonight now at about 4mph with occasional 15mph gusts. I have three hang on stands on the property that I've been hunting only lightly to keep pressure off the areas as they are spots I will want to hunt all season long. I also have a portable that I've been taking with me this week as the wind changes my plans. Now, below is one of my hang on setups.

The corn is still standing, and I've hunted this location twice. Once last saturday, and once Monday evening. I haven't been back since. I EXPECT the deer to enter the corn field to the west of the stand, although my previous two sits there yielded only two things to the contrary. On Saturday night, 9 deer came barreling in from directly north of my stand from the open field as something had really spooked them. On Monday evening, lone yearling came from the corn field to the east, through the stip of woods I'm in, and into the west corn field. I was ASSUMING the deer are beddding southwest of my stand, but there's a small chance they may be to the southeast sometimes as well. Should I be safe in this stand with a NNW wind, or play it elsewhere?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thoughts on tonights sit? Map included.

is the top of your map North?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Robow45

is the top of your map North?
Yes. Sorry, should have noted that.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM

A NNW would blow your scent into all the woods behind you where you suspect the deer should come from, even though you seen the opposite. I'm not sure thats a good wind unless they are coming from the north side of the field down to your side across the corn.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

A NNW would blow your scent into all the woods behind you where you suspect the deer should come from, even though you seen the opposite. I'm not sure thats a good wind unless they are coming from the north side of the field down to your side across the corn.
Well the wind pattern is different for every weather site I check. WSW on one, SW on another, NNW on the other. I will play it by ear I suppose, and take the climber if I have to.