Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

future shooter

Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: future shooter

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

http://www.sonic.net/dana/fawns/fawncare.html
here`s some homework for ya
True true! It's funny how some old wive's tales live on. That must have been a cool experience, well maybe not for the fawn, but it doesn't look too shook up. How did it take being handled? Did it calm down eventually?
I picked it up by like I would pick up a baby,the cradled it like a baby and it yelled a couple times and calmed down when it realized noone meant any harm.
I knew before hand that it would do no harm to let the kids pet the deer.Anyone who thinks a doe would ever leave a fawn due to scent is missinformed,.If you do your homework there isn`t a case where mom will leave baby unless they get hit by a car,and in that case another doe will tend to it just as if it were her own,even breastfeeding it.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

True true! It's funny how some old wive's tales live on. That must have been a cool experience, well maybe not for the fawn, but it doesn't look too shook up. How did it take being handled? Did it calm down eventually?
I picked it up by like I would pick up a baby,the cradled it like a baby and it yelled a couple times and calmed down when it realized noone meant any harm.
I knew before hand that it would do no harm to let the kids pet the deer.Anyone who thinks a doe would ever leave a fawn due to scent is missinformed,.If you do your homework there isn`t a case where mom will leave baby unless they get hit by a car,and in that case another doe will tend to it just as if it were her own,even breastfeeding it.
did you read what i had to say or research Dr. Rue?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

In all likely hood a mother will not abandon the fawn due to the scent left on her, they go through too much to just drop it all and leave.

However, the fawn is in harms way of 'capture myopothy,' basically saying she could go into a state of shock from the expirence and have heart failure. Dont happen in whitetail very often, but again it is possible.

No sense jumpin on the guy over this, its one incident, and a damn cool expirence for his family.

The fawn probably went running in traffic and got hit by a car later anyways....kids ya know...[8D]
Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM

What a cutie... almost wish you could keep the little thing. Thanks for sharing. My kids are looking over my shoulder and think that is pretty special.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the site YOU posted...
"Petting the fawn, talking to it, holding it, does not comfort it. This is a wild animal. Human voices, odor and touch only add to the stress and will cause additional harm besides the illness or injury. When a fawn seems calm it may be in shock."

Soooooo, basically you picked it up and shouldnt have, and when you thought it was "calm" it was most likely in shock. You would have been better to look with your eyes, not your hands.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Do we always have to have a good cop/bad cop in every single topic on this forum. He picked it up, kids pet it, he let it go, and now it is more than likely grown up. No harm no foul. Cute deer by the way.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I guess if you want to let the wemon and children pet the deer than by all means do so,if you think it`s detramental to the deer,don`t do it.
Having said that I wouldn`t do anything differantly and the fawn is now a spiker and in grave danger of being double lounged by my nephews pse nova.
Again do some reserch on does leaving a fawn to die due to odor and you will find the fawn is now a spiker or maybe a six pointer.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cute little doe fawn!!!

Cool stuff!!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys,it sure had a loud voice for a little guy
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69
He picked it up, kids pet it, he let it go, and now it is more than likely grown up. No harm no foul. Cute deer by the way.

I disagree. So everyone who finds a fawn should pick it up, pet it and pass it around?
Not a good idea. Enjoy them from a distance and leave em alone.

Quick Reply: future shooter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.