Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I had a guy pull a gun on me this morning. Police Phone call page 9. >

I had a guy pull a gun on me this morning. Police Phone call page 9.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I had a guy pull a gun on me this morning. Police Phone call page 9.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Spike

Default RE: I had a guy pull a gun on me this morning.

Remember that scene in that movie DELIVERANCE where Burt reynolds arrowed that hillbilly? It would have been atempting thought huh?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, the bottom line is your OK and safe. I may be wrong but I believe you said you had your phone with you. While I understand you being scared I would be too. If you had a phone you should have called right then and there when you believed it to be safe to do so. Most people have never been in that situation, very few have similar incidences. Anyway, being forceful in that situation might have gotten you hurt. Such as slinging an arrow. The law is pretty paticular when it comes to self defence. In your case you would have been justified to use deadly force, if you were 100% positive that the gun was pointed at you. You did not need to wait until he fires to do so. But you had better make sure that it was his intentions to harm you. Understand that you were in a treestand, you had no options to flee the scene or get away, therefore you have a right to protect yourself. You made the right choice under the circumstances to wait it out. Don't let anyone tell you different, their are many arm chair quarterbacks out there. Using deadly physical force is the last resort period!!! Calling the cops was a good idea, pay no mind to this person getting retrobution on you. One cannot afford to play that game. I am deeply sorry that you had to experience this situation. No one should have to go thru this, but in life there are people who do this type of stuff. From now on bring your phone with you, or tell someone where you are, one can never be too careful. Also talk to your local police chief, he has enough experience to guide you in the right direction, chances are he has dealt with something similar. It is his job to tell you what your options were. Knowledge is power. Do not let this incident sway you and your good common sense in the future. You handled yourself well, you should be proud, by the way tell your dad about it, if you were my son I would like to know.lou-lou
Old 10-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with Rob as well. Also, I'm not sure going to talk to someone who was waving a pistol at you is such a good idea! This is not normal behavior; sounds like the guys a few arrows short of a full quiver!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree i wouod have called the cops. thats one reason why i think you should be able to carry a pistol with you when bow hunting.
What if your there again and he gets just a little bit madder. Next time he might shoot you or someone else. You also need to let the land owner know about this
I would guest you where sitting on his spot as for the bow. maybe he had arrow you did not see or maybe he ws pistol hunting just had the bow since it was bow season
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I totally disagree and would have called the cops. By leaving and letting that place go, he wins and that was his entire agenda. You could have described him to the cops as you sat there and he walked around cursing. He would have seen your phone and probably high tailed it out of there. If you have a right to be there and he doesn't, your simply letting that moron win and that's a shame.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't seek retribution with the nut bag.Hunting is supposed to be relaxing and fun.Find a new place to hunt where you can do it in peace.
While I understand those who wouldn't back downI don't agree with that response,it could get you hurt or even killed if you are dealing with someone that is out of their mind.
Not worth the anger and negative energy.Find a place to hunt where none of that stuff is a factor,that guy will eventually self inplode on his own with out you having to devote your energies toward him.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: dstubb

If it were me i would refocus my efforts on hunting deer to hunting that ___hole! There is no way in hell that he will spot you if you take the time to really conceal yourself into some brush or really high up in a tree. I would take a video camera and a gun with me and get the guy on film.

Also what other kinds of problems did the officer say he has had in those woods?
Well, a while back there was a kid that went crazy and was going to kill himself up there, I saw where he sat with a duffle bag full of pictures, a suicide note and shotgun shells, (the duffel bag was laying there for weeks before someone came and got it) and noone is allowed to ride quads and people do (all the time) and people shoot firearms up there in a saftey zone (which most of it is) and people were peppering houses with 12gague BB's lets see. Ohh one idiot set the woods on fire I was the first one to find that ohh what a plesant suprise that was, This property borders a Trailer park so you get all kinds of white trash that think they own the entire world so. you name it I can prolly say I've seen it up there. Ohh someone went wacko one day with spray paint and wrote god all over the trees... Yeah....... Idiots.

Ryan.
You have all of these "idiots" leaving in a trailer park near the woods that are near you, and you don't think a meth lab has anything to do with what took place?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

wow....thats nuts....
Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Calling did little to nothing.People now believe that calling is the answer, it's only one part. When people like this know that doing something so stupid will get them a like response, they will stop. Calling the police won't do it. If it did...

Let's say you were prepare to stop this person and when people have to do it they will as the history of our nation proves, this man would be learning that this kind of behavior is very stupid and you maybe saving a life, not just your own. It's a lot to ask of an 18 year old true enough, but your country would ask it of you at that age.

It's a wake up call. You goning to hit the snooze button?

I'm not saying run out and by a gun, I'm saying be ***pre***pared*** to defend yourself and others. One is being as irresponsible as this moron, the other is the complete opposite.

So for the rest of us here, how many times will this story need to be retold by others before we advocate our role as home land defenders? As bowhunters were apply qualified for the most part. We need to look at our targets up close and make sure of the shot. That aint the description of someone with a hair trigger or irresponsible.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you made the call! Next time call IMEDIATLY! A man pointing a weapon would have drawn the attention of a lot of LEO's, and he probably would have been caught right there. I personally would find a new place to hunt, but if you go back out there, be prepared to defend yourself in case something else happens. Good luck!

Calling did little to nothing.People now believe that calling is the answer, it's only one part. When people like this know that doing something so stupid will get them a like response, they will stop. Calling the police won't do it. If it did...

Let's say you were prepare to stop this person and when people have to do it they will as the history of our nation proves, this man would be learning that this kind of behavior is very stupid and you maybe saving a life, not just your own. It's a lot to ask of an 18 year old true enough, but your country would ask it of you at that age.

It's a wake up call. You goning to hit the snooze button?

I'm not saying run out and by a gun, I'm saying be ***pre***pared*** to defend yourself and others. One is being as irresponsible as this moron, the other is the complete opposite.

So for the rest of us here, how many times will this story need to be retold by others before we advocate our role as home land defenders? As bowhunters were apply qualified for the most part. We need to look at our targets up close and make sure of the shot. That aint the description of someone with a hair trigger or irresponsible.
nodog, hungover this morning? Still drunk? Maybe a little sleepy? I am all for homeland defense, but our law enforcement is around to take care of crazy folks running around with weapons. No one knows how they would deal with a situation like this until it happens. Unless you have had formal training on dealing with people like this, it is best to let the law deal with them. All of us can say hypothetically what we would do, but until you are in this position, you dont know.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that is nuts. Glad you are ok bud....

Shane

Quick Reply: I had a guy pull a gun on me this morning. Police Phone call page 9.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.