Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back in the woods, or field edge??

Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Back in the woods, or field edge??

Durring the rut, is it better to set up back in the woods, or on a field edge. And then to take it one step further. This same time, in the AM, which would be better, and then in the PM, which would be better.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Back in the woods, or field edge??

I never hunt more than 10 yards into a woods. I leave the woods as a off limits area for deer only I feel that it keeps the pressure to a minimum. The deer will work their way to a field edge you just have to be patient. The bucks will run numerous scrapes along the field edges. It is also easier to hunt the wind being at a field edge. This is the way I hunt it is my preferred choice. Everyone will tell you something different but this works for me you need to find what works for you. Good luck
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get in the woods... for the rut.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would put it in the woods. Deer spend more time in the woods then the fields.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

You know how that big guy always steps out in to the feild right at dark....
Get in the woods where he is waiting for it to get dark..
I like to be about 40 -50 yards off the feild edge...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

does this apply to trails and firetrails as well. i heard the deer will run along the edge of dirt roads and suck just enough to see the path, but fat back so they cant be hunted.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Today I hunted a corner to cut corn field where I can shot into the woods and the field. I like the setup because it funnels deer through there because 50-70 yards in there is a creek so the deer have to come through there sometime. Today I saw two buck, one doe and a yearling. One buck was in the field running down the side and the other was in the woods along with the doe and yearling. Now tomorrow I will be in the woods all day just because we put up another stand in some thick nasty stuff deep in the woodsthinking the mature bucks may be hiding out but time will tell.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do both. I have 2 stands that are hugging the edge of a cut corn field. Both of these stands are also covering trails that run through the woods behind me around 20-30 yards. I use my decoy in setups like this, and it allows me to see bucks crusing while crossing the field. If I'm lucky they see the decoy and come in.

I also have 2 stands set up in the woods. These 2 focus around bedding areas that I know does are in, where the trails lead to a major food source. I try to set up about 50-60 yards off the edge and wait.

It's all about personal opinoin. To me, nothing is better than being set up next to a bedding area on a morning rut hunt.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know how that big guy always steps out in to the feild right at dark....
Get in the woods where he is waiting for it to get dark..
I like to be about 40 -50 yards off the feild edge...
Ditto!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Stands over looking trails that parallel field edges can be very productive during mornings or evenings

Quick Reply: Back in the woods, or field edge??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.