Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Holy **** a fawn born 2 days ago? >

Holy **** a fawn born 2 days ago?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Holy **** a fawn born 2 days ago?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Holy **** a fawn born 2 days ago?

More like the 5th or 6th estrous.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

It's my understanding that the reason we have a 'rut' is because that is when does come into heat after having given birth earlier in the year... i wouldn't assume that it is the rarest thing in the world to have had a doe come into heat outside of the 'norm' and then give birth at a weird time. I've never seen it- but what do I know!?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

She will come in to heat just like a human woman that is not preganet. Once a month like clock work. Most of the time a buck only has enough testostrone to actually want to breed from the time he sheds his velvet till his antlers drop.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Saw a doe with her fawn about 2 weeks ago. Fawn was really small and had all of its spots still! Spots were bright white and had no signs of fading yet. Seen a few fawns since then and all of them have lost their spots completely.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 AM
Spike

It is unusual, but not unheard of, to have fawns born this late. I have seen nearly term fetuses in does killed in September. Ieven have a picture of twonear term fetuses, butdon't think I'llpost it.This tends to happen more often with young does. A small percentage of doe fawns will go into estrous very late, and consequently be bred very late. As has already been said, it also tends to happen more when buck to doe ratios are very skewed.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen two spotted fawns in December. One in Pennsylvania about 5 years ago and one in Illinois last year. If the doe fails to breed she will come back into estrous every month till she gets pregnant. I also believe that does that miscarry will come back into estrous.

A fawn like the one you saw has a very slim chance of survival in the northern states. The one I saw last December was on a very bitter cold day. It was barely able to move, was alone and looked near death. After watching itfor a while, I decided not to let it suffer any more.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM

Yea...I can't see a fawn suriving a winter in the area's I hunt in at this time of year.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]