Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it. >

I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Default I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it.

I went out tonight for an evening hunt and got out there kinda late. It was around 4:30 before i got in my stand because I helped my buddy find this spot that he had never gone to before. Around 6:30 i get a text saying there are deer in the field to my right. I didnt think much of it because my buddy was a good 150 yards away. Next thing I know I look toward the field and there is this nice 8 pointer 25 yards away. Well, I wasnt patient enough and when i reached for my bow on my left side and swung back around he busted my movement. Him and another small buck took off. The good thing was he didnt smell me, he didnt snort, and he didnt even give me the white flag as he ran away. I am really aggrevated at myself, but i know to be more patient next time. Plus this is the first deer ive seen on this property and it happened to be about a 110" eight pointer. I'm pumped and dissapointed at the same time.

I have to admit it's pretty cool knowing there's a nice buck out there. My buddy's getting a trail cam, and we are going to put it out there soon.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it.

Sounds like agood hunt, bummer about the deer spotting you though. And be careful with that cell phone stuf, it is illegal after all.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM

No regs against cell phones or walkie talkies in MO. You'll get him next time fish, I got money on that. I just wish you were on my team.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

not sure why cells or walkeys would be illegal if they are there move
ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Sounds like agood hunt, bummer about the deer spotting you though. And be careful with that cell phone stuf, it is illegal after all.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

not sure why cells or walkeys would be illegal if they are there move

I know in Ohio it is illegal to use cell phones or walky talkies to "hunt" deer. IE - sending a text to your buddy that a deer is coming his way.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in Ohio it is illegal to use cell phones or walky talkies to "hunt" deer.
Well I don't know about y'all..... but I don't think I could throw one hard enough to inflict anything more significant than a surface bruise on a deer....
Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I know in Ohio it is illegal to use cell phones or walky talkies to "hunt" deer.
Well I don't know about y'all..... but I don't think I could throw one hard enough to inflict anything more significant than a surface bruise on a deer....
Funny

I wasnt aware of MO laws, my bad.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM

I know in Ohio it is illegal to use cell phones or walky talkies to "hunt" deer. IE - sending a text to your buddy that a deer is coming his way.
I did not know there were laws like that. I have NO IDEA whether or not we have a law like that in Oklahoma.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Funny

I wasnt aware of MO laws, my bad.

All kidding aside I have some inlaws that have property in Ohio.... I'm glad you mentioned it. Rebecca and I frequently use walkie talkies with ear pieces when we are turkey, dove and deer hunting... mostly to keep in contact with each other.... text messages too.... but it is good to know that.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to the regulations of the ODNR website:

It shall be unlawful to use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person’s voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer.

That doesn't mean you cant have them for communicating and/or safety reasons.

Quick Reply: I had an 8 pointer at 25 yards and blew it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.