Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well went out today about 3pm. Mostly due to the fact i had to change my brakes and because auto zone gave me the wrong parts off by 10 years on the year of the truck.

I got to the stand about 3:30ish Did not see anything except a few squrrials and some black birds enough to black out the sky and give me a headace. They just had to roost within ear shot of me.

I did hear three deer moving through the thicket across the creek but did not see any of them. Or they were hunters making a crap load of noise walking through.

I almost got me a squirrel it came 5 yards short of being dinner. I came down the creek bank but jumped across 5 yards short of my opening. errrrrr i been wanting to arrow one.

It is all good I did not fall out did not drop my bow though i almost did. And i did not drop my dad digital camera. When he said if you drop it don't come back.
I guy set up a stand 50 yards from mine right on the field. on the same tree i planed to till i found the creek trail. I noticed he had been there since it had alot of mud on the rails and it did not yesterday. Ohh and i am figuring he killed a deer there. since right by where you park is a gut pill. And the drug line through the weeds runs right to his stand. [:@][:@][:@]

Ohh well glad someone got something. I am alittle worried to get to my stand i must walk right by his and almost right under it. Or walk through 20 yards of thorn bushes.

But i guest thats what hunting public land is about. I just hope he understands.

I will not be going out tomorrow got to be here for a call between 12 and 2 dam cable company. and then got to take the dogs to the vet at 3. If i get my stuff washed i might head out for a late afternoon hunt but i doubt it since i want to make sure everything is ready for a morning hunt Saturday
Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bigtim...I would get away from those other hunters ASAP. I would hunt 2 thickets away from them or in an area where the deer escape when they feel pressure. Get a topo map and begin to look for those areas.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Bigtim...I would get away from those other hunters ASAP. I would hunt 2 thickets away from them or in an area where the deer escape when they feel pressure. Get a topo map and begin to look for those areas.
im with virginiashadow on this one my brother hunts public land me and him went to scout it when he got home from iraq. he walked at least 7 or 8 miles that day in about 10,000 acres of land out there. get out there and find some place secluded from everything else where you know the deer will be.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, find a spot where they will go when pressured. Let these other guys do the work for you.

Shane
Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

in the area i was hunting i am in the middle of the area between two roads. a swamp and a thicket. I think next year i might try and jump the creek.I do have a few other areas i can hunt way back i plan to hunt.
One of them is almost 1 mile back. It is hard to go real deep because due to all the coal pits you come up on a swamp or big pond. I do look at the check in list when i head in i have not seen a hunter yet just the stand. that is why i set up on the creek sosomeone was not walking right by my stand. I feel bad walking by his stand i know one day he will be sitting there

Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM

unfortunately you gotta make due with what ya got. if ya can, move. especially if someone got one close by. and just my two cents, but there is a lot of time before 12...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know but i did not have time to get my clothes ready and figure i am best off spending the time getting everything scent free and setting up for a all day saturday hunt
i figure next week i should have the bulk of the place to my self. There was only 14 people signed in for 8000 acres the lady at the desk said after the first week or so it normaly stays below 10. Got to say to i am alittle less worried about the stand getting stolen as it has not and the other is not even locked. I figure there find that one first before they get to mine.
As for moving not sure it is a good idea i am on a good spot. And i have a pop up blind. If i head there and someone is parked there or signs in for the area i will just use the pop up no big deal. I think come the rut when there under pressure and moving looking for does. I will be right where i need to be. I also think they will stay away from the fields as they seem to be right now. I noticed most of the people have signed in for areas with fields be them clover or beans or corn near the road.
I also plan to hunt the fields but the one deeper and when most people are at work. I figure by the end of nextweek everyone will be back to weekends only due to work. It is nice to work for your self
ORIGINAL: PatrickMc

unfortunately you gotta make due with what ya got. if ya can, move. especially if someone got one close by. and just my two cents, but there is a lot of time before 12...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think next year i might try and jump the creek
Tim.."I think next year i might try and jump the creek "

Tim, if you feel deer are on the other side of the creek this year, get over that creek! Remember how hard you have worked this year trying to kill a deer? Get on a dog gone canoe and get over there pronto! Best of luck to you.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

what worries me is i think there bedding on the other side. I can get there from the field on the other side but i would need to work by or in the thicket I might just have to jump over there. the creek is only like 8 inchs deep so no big deal jumping it . might get a couble center blocks and lay across the path to jump over

I think next year i might try and jump the creek
Tim.."I think next year i might try and jump the creek "

Tim, if you feel deer are on the other side of the creek this year, get over that creek! Remember how hard you have worked this year trying to kill a deer? Get on a dog gone canoe and get over there pronto! Best of luck to you.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that kills BIG deer every year on public land and he keys on escape routes and uses the hunting pressure to his advantage. Take the advise of the guys above, get a topo and start thinking like a pushed deer, it will pay off.