Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your area/woods capable of? >

What's your area/woods capable of?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your area/woods capable of?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's your area/woods capable of?

Yes, I know our area has the potential to produce both albeit the B/C are few and far between anywhere. I have seen plenty of P/Y on hoof and on trail cam but not any B/C.

Yet a good friend of mine shot a 174" last year not 5 miles from me, so I know the potential exists.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

1. P&Y yes, few and far inbetween, even old deer....Booners, doubtfully, even at the right age

2. Maybe a P&Y passing through occasionally, but rarely ever sighted.

3. The motto around here seems to be 'if it's brown it's down' although more hunters are getting better about letting them walk. Even though we have crops and mast, the nutrition seems to be poor. I think the 3.5y/o I shot this year had potential to become a monster, but I doubt he would have made it if he ever left the sanctuary of the cutover on our property. 3.5y/os are rare here with 4.5y/o even rarer...much less a 5.5y/o. All of the larger deer I have ever saw around here have been at night. I did see one I would beleive to go 150's one night close...but it was on power company land, with several thousand acres of posted, no-hunting land.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Spike

yes, there may be a few. For 5 years we have been hunting there we have set a 8 point and mature limit on all bucks. before that the area was not hunted. too bad last night i missed a big ten pointer at ten yards. I feel horrible right now, I've waited so long and i blew it...at least it was soo bad it was a clean miss. shot right over him.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The county I hunt has produced 5 of the top 100 typical rifle kill bucks in the state, including the #1 which went 189". It obviously has the potential to produce a B&C buck but I honestly don't think there are any booners running around there right now. I'm sure there are acouple P&Y bucks though. I've seen and had encounters with a handful of bucks that would go P&Y over the years. It's not the kind of place you are going to kill oneevery year though.

To be honest, if you could averagea 100" deer every year with a bow in that part of the country you would probably be in the top 1% of the hunters in terms of success on a "good" buck for the area.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

1. Is the area/woods you hunt capable of producing P&Y and B&C bucks?

2. Do you believe you have either of them around?

3. If you believe you do not, what's your reasoning?
1. YES

2. NO

3. I dont know.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

My area holds Pope and Young bucks and possibly even Boone and Crockett caliber deer. The major problems i have are pressure and where the bucks are bedding. The land around me is all private, and i have permission to hunt a good chuck of this (over 1,000 acres) andmy familypersonally owns100 that only me and my brother hunt. During bow season the pressure is not too bad but during gun it is ridiculous.

But the biggest issue is where the deer are bedding. I KNOW that their are 150+ inch bucks in the area, but they are never seen during the day. Last year i took a good video of a 140+ after dark in a field i hunted over 30 times, but never saw anything bigger then a 6 point in during the day. Anywasy now im just rambling......

Heres a taste of my area,

Top end bucks that are never seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd0cRt2BPeM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tsKu-ONtg

Middle of the road bucks that i would take in a heartbeat and have glimpsed from time to time while hunting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh7N36pwXyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxl3OKDo85Q

And bucks that i see on a regular basis and have harvested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0it9F7qOZ3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFJ2ukhCxU

Sorry for the lengthy post but i had youtube and photobucket handy at the moment. I guess my area would be normal for Ohio, maybe not quite up to par with Iowa or Kansas.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Yes
2. Yes. Had a 209" taken off our property in 2006 (had a chance at him in bow season, but couldn't get him to stop, he was chasing a doe)and have seen numerous 130+ since
Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

1. Yes

2. Maybe a couple

3. Everybody shoots the first one they see.[:@]
X2. We've got a lot of trigger happy guys around our area during gun season.

I saw a P&Y buck in our woods last season looking for some tail, and he was part of a group of 3 or so that frequent a swail accross from our north edge that nobody hunts, and the owners will not allow anyone to hunt. Our area has a great mixture of cash crops, minerals and water. They're out there, just not always in range.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

All three of this bucks where with in 1/2 mile of each other, I've also seen 4 that will go over 170typ. and found a 5 point shed that scored 86, over 7 in. at the base.Thats in the past 7 years.

The funny thing is, most hunters around here will tell you thatthey dont exist,they also shoot the first thing that walksup with bone on its head.[8D]

Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Is the area/woods you hunt capable of producing P&Y and B&C bucks? Yes

2. Do you believe you have either of them around? I know I have P&Y bucks around, not near as many as there should be though. As for B&C bucks I haven't seen one hunting In about 10 years. They are here, just not to many.

The reason I believe we are lacking both P&Y and B&C bucks Is that the gun season Is In full bore during the prime of the rut here In Minnesota. It makes It tough then to manage a woods but I still stick to my ways of managing my woods and let the younger, smaller bucks walk. That will never change.

Quick Reply: What's your area/woods capable of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.